Pioneer 2014

I think it's safe to say they won't make finals, likely not top 15, but any move up for them will be good for the corps and recruiting.

Seems I have heard rumors like this surface in the past. If they are true, great. If not, oh well, at least they are still around.

Don't you think it seems a little odd that that this news is out there during the season - July nonetheless? Regardless, "hats" off to the staff who is on board this year teaching a corps with pretty strict programming guidelines.

• Like 2

You do realize right that Carolina Crown went from 16th in 2002 to 10th in 2003 right. Now look at them. They won last year. Anything is possible. Need I remind you of Star Of Indiana 1985. They didn't place anywhere in 1984 because they DIDN'T EXIST. Then BOOOOOM!!!!! 10th place in 85. All it took was the right staff and strong recruiting. You just have no idea what is brewing right now.

Crown was also a consistent finalist for 7 years before 2002 so they definitely had momentum to help their rise. Pioneer doesn't quite have the momentum or clout that Crown had, even after 02. Also, look at corps like Colts and Troopers and even Crossmen. They can tell you how hard it is to break into the top 12, and they've all had some pretty heavy hitters on the staff recent years. Pio definitely has their work cut out for them to get to the level of a finalist but I certainly wish them the best of luck. In the meantime, let's enjoy what they're doing this year.

Edited by RockEuph

All it would take is to get the right staff in there (and I've heard some rumors lately about a few big names who are planning on jumping in and building this corps) and of course a good strong recruiting effort. It can, and will happen. Just trust me. In two years, you will look back at this thread and say "holy ####! He was right".

They need a show that stays within the parameters set forth by their leadership, but would still score well under the current DCI paradigm.

Thus, I suggest:

The Troubles: West Belfast Story

I never realized how many staff have Central NY roots that are working with this corps. I would love to see them improve to the point of making finals. It will definitely take some doing for sure. As far as rumors about big staff changes, I wouldn't read too much into it in the middle of a season. I can't imagine any reasonable administration is trying to lock new staff for next year in the middle of July. I think fixing broken buses, making sure the corps eats and moving a large number of people great distances is probably slightly more important.

• Like 1

Crown was also a consistent finalist for 7 years before 2002 so they definitely had momentum to help their rise. Pioneer doesn't quite have the momentum or clout that Crown had, even after 02. Also, look at corps like Colts and Troopers and even Crossmen. They can tell you how hard it is to break into the top 12, and they've all had some pretty heavy hitters on the staff recent years. Pio definitely has their work cut out for them to get to the level of a finalist but I certainly wish them the best of luck. In the meantime, let's enjoy what they're doing this year.

Furthermore, getting into finals AND consistently remaining in finals is insanely difficult: just ask staff members from Spirit, Colts, Troopers, Crossmen, and Cascades.

The 02 Crown analogy doesn't hold for the reasons you stated, plus that year ended with a huge overhaul in design/music staff.

That said: I have a ton of respect for Pioneer and its members. Many WC corps have finished ahead of them since the early 2000s. Many members of said corps have cracked wise about Pioneer’s placements, show designs, philosophy, etc. I’ve heard the same snarky play on “Better Every Day” for too long.

But many of those corps are long gone.

I think there’s a definite structure for Pioneer to be competitively successful. It’s really more of a question of how much they’re willing to A) spend on an elite staff and other show-specific resources, and B) modify their current philosophy of being both a competitive WC corps AND a musical outreach organization (remember they take in a lot of people that don't have the typical music education background). With the exception of organizations like YEA and BDE, it’s really hard to do both.

• Like 1

The thing I really like about Pioneer and this has been mentioned before is that they are truly a "teaching" corps.

I know they have turned out a number of horn players who auditioned as snare drummers or "snaritones". One would think that being more rounded with this experience is a tremendous asset to some of these future band directors.

Go Pioneer.

• Like 3