Pioneer 2014

I loved the Celtic / New Age stuff. That was about the time that Pioneer first came on my radar. Got to see them in '96 live with the Celtic Twilight show, and I remember vividly how shocked everyone was Finals week that someone could beat them - they really felt like a D1 corps in D2 clothing.

I'd love to see an expanded repertoire with a twist as well. Irish classical composers? Irish opera? Contemporary Irish techno and trance music? There's a ton of room to push the envelope while still keeping it suitable for mailing, you know? :)

Mike

• Like 2

I am a huge fan of Pioneer and what they bring to the activity. However, this year I was disappointed in their production. The arrangements were very odd, and the final 3 pieces all sounded like closers, but together seemed very disjointed. The kids did a decent job with the show they were handed though.

I think it will benefit the corps to add males to the guard.

I remember the mid to late 90s, when Pioneer was a DII/Open Clas corps beating several very good World Class/DI corps at the time. Now they are a World Class corps who wouldn't make top 5 in Open Class. Kind of disappointing, but at least they are still on the field. I really wish the staff would write more difficult shows, simllar to the style they were performing in the mid to late 90s. However, when they put on the Oliver show was when they really started to lose me. That show could have been decent, but it was written more to the level of a junior high marching band than to a World Class/DI corps that had been consistently making top 17(semifinals bacck then) And since that time, the level of shows has never been the same as prior to that year.

I wish Pioneer best of luck in the future, and can't wait to see what they put on the field next year.

I was agreeing that it is a big deal for Pioneer. A very big deal.

I don't consider on the face of it, that simply adding males to Pioneer's Guard constitutes such " a big deal ". I suppose if this change allows them to move up in placement it might then be considered " a big deal ".

In my definition, " a big deal " would be if we heard it announced that Madison Scouts and Cavaliers announced they were going to allow females into their Drum Corps. Now THAT in my view, would fully constitute what would be considered " a big deal ". Not Pioneer simply adding a few males to their Guard section of their Corps. But if a few others think that the announcement that Pioneer will be adding a few males to their Guard section constitutes " a big deal ", thats cool and all and fine too of course, Again, if this is shown to have them move up in placement in the future, then in retropect, this change seems like it will be a good move for Pioneer. I enjoy Pioneer most seasons, and wish them well, and would love to see them move up in placement. If this decision does the trick... then its all good.

Edited by BRASSO

I don't consider on the face of it, that simply adding males to Pioneer's Guard constitutes such " a big deal ". I suppose if this change allows them to move up in placement it might then be considered " a big deal ".

In my definition, " a big deal " would be if we heard it announced that Madison Scouts and Cavaliers announced they were going to allow females into their Drum Corps. Now THAT in my view, would fully constitute what would be considered " a big deal ". Not Pioneer simply adding a few males to their Guard section of their Corps. But if a few others think that the announcement that Pioneer will be adding a few males to their Guard section constitutes " a big deal ", thats cool and all and fine too of course, Again, if this is shown to have them move up in placement in the future, then in retropect, this change seems like it will be a good move for Pioneer. I enjoy Pioneer most seasons, and wish them well, and would love to see them move up in placement. If this decision does the trick... then its all good.

I can see where this would be a big deal for Pioneer. Of all the WC corps, Pioneer is perhaps the most traditional in its approach which would include an all female guard. Yes there are other all female guards, most notably Phantom Regiment (most years), but this is an artistic choice rather than a policy. I don't a coed guard as a reason why the corps will place higher, but it does show a willingness to change and adapt, and this could be a reason for higher placement.

I can see where this would be a big deal for Pioneer. Of all the WC corps, Pioneer is perhaps the most traditional in its approach which would include an all female guard. Yes there are other all female guards, most notably Phantom Regiment (most years), but this is an artistic choice rather than a policy. I don't a coed guard as a reason why the corps will place higher, but it does show a willingness to change and adapt, and this could be a reason for higher placement.

bottom line is IF PIO considers it a big deal, then it is. Why would anyone question it or even care. They know their inner workings and what may or may not generate excitement which can lead to a more successful season.

• Like 1