Bluecoats New Ending?

The pitch bend is actually the Bluecoats hornline which was recorded during camp. It is then played back through the synth during the show.

Edited by pistolpete
  • Like 5

It's kind of silly that some people legitimately think that the Bluecoats are trying to "pretend" that they're playing the pitch bend. They physically move the horns away from their faces as part of the visual effect, which is kind of what it's supposed to be, an effect. I don't think it would really be feasible for them to actually play something like that, let alone while doing all the movement with it.

• Like 5

The pitch bend is actually the Bluecoats hornline which was recorded during camp. It is then played back through the synth during the show.

Sort of. It is a recording of the Bluecoats hornline from camp, but then manipulated through electronics to do the pitch bend (Source: Dan Potter's podcast).

Side note: What if they really could do this and waited until DCI Finals to show off? Haha I know this won't happen, but a man can dream, right? Me hoping for that is like hoping for a Demon victory at finals from the Cadets in 2011

Edited by MidWAmericanArts

From what I can tell, different cameras and recording devices handle the electronics at the end of the show differently. Live at Akron, the synth was cranked up and made the transition from horn to synth pretty seamless. I recorded it on my phone and it handled it the same way as it did live.

However, I watched other videos of Akron taken from other people and the synth did sound very soft compared to how it sounded live. So that would be my guess, but that's just based on some videos and the one show I've seen live.

Sort of. It is a recording of the Bluecoats hornline from camp, but then manipulated through electronics to do the pitch bend (Source: Dan Potter's podcast).

Side note: What if they really could do this and waited until DCI Finals to show off? Haha I know this won't happen, but a man can dream, right? Me hoping for that is like hoping for a Demon victory at finals from the Cadets in 2011

By the end of the season they should do another recording because Im sure their hornline would sound better than they did at camp! And that sample needs to be through the roof loud. It only really effective if its the same volume as the hornline!!

Is that 'Coats "tilt" really possible with horns?

Maybe if they added extra long tuning slides.

Seriously, I don't like electronics in drum corps, but as a clever gimmick, this works.

I'd rather them do the pitch bends with the brass, not the synthesizer. With the synthesizer, they are pretenders, not contenders.

Yeah, no one has ever won gold using synth effects. Ever. Good call.

It's kind of silly that some people legitimately think that the Bluecoats are trying to "pretend" that they're playing the pitch bend. They physically move the horns away from their faces as part of the visual effect, which is kind of what it's supposed to be, an effect. I don't think it would really be feasible for them to actually play something like that, let alone while doing all the movement with it.

This. There's no deception. It's an effect. A good one, too.

As for volume, I think that show was just an aberration. I can't imagine they will actually crank it down. The effect doesn't work without a seemless volume transition.