Why now is better than before, new better than old

I'm confused...on the one hand, we can't compare modern brass lines with those from 30-40 years ago; but then we go ahead and do just that?? Curious...

It's more of a contrast than a comparison...

I'd say with more people in corps in the 80s the average talent was lower. Look at it this way, think of the people who miss the cut with corps today. Back then more of them would be with other corps. Also since it was a lot cheaper to be a member it was easier formore people to try to join. Average with DCA has gotten better with less corps and members.

I'd definitely agree with this - One thing, there were more younger people in the top corps (I was 14/turning 15 when I was in Garfield). There were more than a few people in that '87 hornline that were pretty much brand new to brass instruments. I remember at least 2 3rd sopranos writing in the fingerings, learning the instrument camp-by-camp. I seriously doubt you'd find that in a top 5 corps nowadays.

To some of the young people posting here about how now is better than then.

This sort of discussion has been going on since who knows when and pretty much transcends almost everything that defines society.

I sincerely hope that when the time comes for you to be on the other end, that you remember that you as well tried to further define your youth by negating what has passed before you. We did the same thing at your age.

I think there are so many great things about life now that didn't exist before. I also think there are some things that older people can be very proud of.

One day you will understand.

• Like 2

As I was 'bathing' in the sumptuous sound of Crown's brass last year, I remember thinking that there were very few if any brass sections in my listening experience with drum corps, going back to the early 70s, that could stand up to that luxurious combination of blend, balance and more than enough volume to pull crowds out of their seats. And, that is not to diminish the great solo screamers from back in the day, etc.

Guess it depends on what you mean by "better". Some things have been gained, others lost. The corps and their members perform at a higher level, no doubt about that. And off the field the corps are better run and the members are (mostly) treated better. On the flip side you have far fewer and far fewer participants. The cost of marching has risen much faster than the rate of inflation, so even those who can afford to march have shorter marching careers than they might have had in earlier decades. And while I support the changes that have come to drum corps in the past 15 years I have to admit that there's a certain uniqueness to drum corps that's been irrevocably lost in that time.

This is a pretty good perspective. If I had the opportunity to watch a show from 2014 or a show from 1981 there would be zero question in my mind- 2014 is far superior. The demands being placed on members today is far greater than those "back in the day". As result, members are more professional, efficient in their practices and approach the discipline all together different. However, its true that the line between DCI, BOA and WGI has blurred and each has lost some of its uniqueness. Along the same lines, I grow tired of the volume of programs that resurrect a successful program from years past. I don't mind some of this, but when some corps do a retro show every other year it gets old.

There are fewer corps, fewer participants and fewer having the experience. For those that remain the level of accomplishment is far superior to those of the early years.

PS for the record I do cringe at the site of a slide trombone on the field.

"It depends on what your definition of is is". (President William Jefferson Clinton's impeachment testimony).

It depends on what your definition of BETTER is.

Yes the level of talent that we see in drum corps is greater than what we saw back in the old days if that is what you are referring to. So is the design. Why wouldn't those things improve when you have so many talented people trying to get into so few corps. But with the loss of so many corps we also see a loss of those who are able to have the Drum Corps experience and the audience they brought in with them. Attendance at finals is down from the peak back in 1982, but it is even worse at local shows. Is that better? Absolutely not.

So my answer to "Why now is better than before , new better than old" is..... It depends on what your definition of what better is?

Edited by bluesman

I'd definitely agree with this - One thing, there were more younger people in the top corps (I was 14/turning 15 when I was in Garfield). There were more than a few people in that '87 hornline that were pretty much brand new to brass instruments. I remember at least 2 3rd sopranos writing in the fingerings, learning the instrument camp-by-camp. I seriously doubt you'd find that in a top 5 corps nowadays.

It may be true that there were a lot of new inexperienced brass players in the past. However, one of the great things about Drum corps in the past was that the opportunity WAS there for non-brass players to join a community corps, and learn how to play a brass instrument. Many times it was at no expense.

Plus, having a large number of smaller, non world class corps, gave many players a way to compete, while helping prepare them for higher level corps. Not every current, high level player has the resources to join a top level corps, and currently there are not enough community corps to fill in the void.(partially from the "perceived" cost of running a corps. However, it seems Guardians from Tx, and a few others, are doing it in a community based mindset.)

As I was 'bathing' in the sumptuous sound of Crown's brass last year, I remember thinking that there were very few if any brass sections in my listening experience with drum corps, going back to the early 70s, that could stand up to that luxurious combination of blend, balance and more than enough volume to pull crowds out of their seats. And, that is not to diminish the great solo screamers from back in the day, etc.

The horns of the early 70's were obsolete as early as the mid 70's, so the quality of the sound and what you could do with them was limited, so I'd agree e=mc2 could not have been performed with these instruments, but when it comes to volume, that's questionable. While this year's Bluecoats are doing a great job with "how loud can you get?" The last time i really remember being pelted with volume was 1999 Madison. Granted pure volume is put of style, but back in the day they could really crank it up and without amplification.

BTW: I have been attending multiple shows just about every year since 6th grade, which is almost 40 years now, so I've seen quite a bit in drum corps.

Edited by Tim K

The members are far more talented today and perform vastly more difficult shows but I look to be entertained. In general, are the shows of recent years as entertaining for the majority of the audience as the shows of the late 70's - late 80's? Not even close.
2014 DCI will be remembered for the Bluecoats show, not for who medaled.