San Antonio Regional

Posted on Facebook by George Hopkin Today.

A morning post for all .....

Gotta be impressed by the Bluecoats . Great work by the kids and staff in rising past judges opinions

It's a great lesson for us all .

There is no definitive winner in this game. There are simply scores based on the collective views of the judges for the evening

It's a blast of a game - and we all want to win but the journey is where the real work is done. .

As I tell the Cadets - our corps has won world championships by a tenth of a point - it can easily have gone the other way

That said, it is insane to allow a group of 8 or so people whom we barely know to define success. You would do that nowhere else in your life and we all need to not allow such judgement to affect our kids or ourselves in this world . Competing is a grand lesson but it needs to be held in context.

Dr Bernard Baggs, the great sage

of drum corps for many decades , once told me that rules congresses, judges sheets and all of that was a waste of time and money because we were judging something that could not be judged. I was a young director and I reveled in the debate and the search for the RIGHT system. Today , well , I too agree that there is no right system. Just ---- a system.

And it will change and we will grow but no matter what we do - there will always be simply the results of The Night. Never will there be the ultimate victor for as Dr Baggs explained to me - drum corps is about children and art and in that endeavor there are no losers

To close this diatribe ....

We are not for profit organizations not because we play instruments and march but because we affect the future of young people's lives . We do need fans and supporters no doubt ; such is our operational model. And yes indeed the kids love a standing ovation and we love alumni and t shirt sales and filled stadiums and passion driven fans. Heck - our collective goal is to bring you to your feet and bring tears to your eyes. Every corps is doing their very best to be as entertaining as possible. Every corps !

But at the end of the day - what matters is each young man and woman on that field . Our success is determined years from now as today's performers blossom to be tomorrow's teachers and leaders. What we do today does create a legacy for decades to follow, and that legacy is not based on placement .

It's hard to remember in a stadium of 10000 fans or in a forum or other discussion board but indeed , because of the inherent work ethic involved in our methods, we can change lives. We do change lives.

We in leadership are blessed to have the opportunity we woke to this morning and every morning . We who teach must remember we hold in our hands the hearts and souls of thousands of awesome young people.

And make no mistake , these kids are the top 5 percent of the kids in the world. Bus sleep - 10 hour rehearsals - a quest for perfection when such a result is impossible . It's amazing what they do and what we all do

Utterly amazing !!!!!

So congratulations Bluecoats. You turned your back on the opinion of the evening and you went out and created new opinions . Which is correct ? Who knows?

But why I say congratulations is for what is clearly a corps built on persistence and determination . And you have to love that - competition or no competition

Now - we all have to get back to work . We have a journey to continue and by the way don't get too good Bluecoats remember we all want those 8 people to tell the world we are the best.

To all corps. - be fabulous - enjoy the day and this weather and tonight ....

Be the best version of your corps that you possibly can be .

After all, that's all you CAN do — feeling excited.

I'm George Hopkins and I approve of myself.

• Like 1

You would first need a gun and second need a permit after taking the required training.

Not to hijack the thread... but handgun open carry is illegal in TX. Concealed carry is granted by permit, and TX shares reciprocity with many permit states not requiring "training". There are people with concealed arms nearly every public place in the country.

This is still a very left field question. Not sure of the motive.

• Like 1

Can you bring guns in a holster into the stadium because it's like in Texas?

No you cannot, if it is a stadium affiliated with a school. Other non-school stadiums in Texas, like the Alamodome, have the discretion to allow guns in, but all of them post a disclaimer/warning saying that weapons are prohibited from the premises.(which is common sense, and allowed under state law..) Texas isn't as cowboy as one would expect. (however, it isn't strange to see people riding horses in downtown Houston/Fort .Worth/Dallas. There was even a guy who commuted to work on his horse everyday to downtown Houston.)

Your cynical response says more about you and your contempt for Hopkins.

So unlike George Hopkins, you don't think Cadets have a shot at catching BD? Because the only way my post would be cynical would be if I thought he didn't believe that.

Not to hijack the thread... but handgun open carry is illegal in TX. Concealed carry is granted by permit, and TX shares reciprocity with many permit states not requiring "training". There are people with concealed arms nearly every public place in the country.

This is still a very left field question. Not sure of the motive.

You are correct. Also, in Texas, a facility can decide if it will allow concealed carry inside a building. All of the municipal buildings, including the large stadiums in Texas, forbid concealed carry inside of them, and usually on the property.

Update:Actually, I am incorrect to some extent. Under Texas state law:

:

• Public sporting events - It is a Class A misdemeanor to carry while inside a building currently being used for an interscholastic or professional sporting event, unless the person carrying is a participant in the sporting event and said sporting event requires the use of the firearm (i.e. a target shooting competition).
  • I am assuming a DCI competition could be considered a professional event?
Edited by cdm

You are correct. Also, in Texas, a facility can decide if it will allow concealed carry inside a building. All of the municipal buildings, including the large stadiums in Texas, forbid concealed carry inside of them, and usually on the property.

Municipal establishments may have state or federal laws prohibiting concealed carry (such as some govt. buildings and all schools... unless permission is granted by administration in some states). Privately owned and operated establishments like most malls or pro. sports stadiums may post restrictions that do not have the force of law but do provide grounds for criminal trespass.

cdm,

The use of the term "common sense" in your post lacks verification of common sense. It is a politicized usage that depends on political perspective rather than argument.

As for me... I see BD leading tonight with a full point spread, winning all captions.