Carolina Crown: The future of DCI, or just a bad era like disco?

They were allowed a self contained motor/battery unit for making the vibes vibrate. Amplification was specifically prohibited - the Founding Fathers of DCI firmly believed that any amplification had to be powered by the performers.

Ok thanks for the clarification.

Is there anyone out there who was a fan of DCI and what it stood for pre-2004 who is actually excited about the direction it is now headed?

Yes. I'll even go a couple decades further back. I'm a fan of pre-1980s drum corps, and marched in the 70s, and absolutely love what Crown is doing this year and have loved their artistic trajectory since 2007. I feel confident in saying that Fred Windish and I are not the only dinos who appreciate modern drum corps (not trying to pick on you Fred but you listed your age :cool:).

I'm not trying to argue you out of your misgivings about modern drum corps. Sorry to hear that Crown and recent changes in the activity aren't your cup of tea. But as a practical matter, I don't think the activity is going to go back to an earlier time. It never has - as you might be aware, one of the main reasons DCI was founded in the first place is because drum corps directors wanted more creative freedom. Tis' the nature of the activity I'm afraid. Personally, I appreciate and enjoy the constant change and evolution.

Is there anyone out there who was a fan of DCI and what it stood for pre-2004 who is actually excited about the direction it is now headed?

It's called "progress" my friend. Come, join us. Don't be afraid.

• Like 1

A couple quick follow up comments:

-Obviously, I don't claim to speak for everyone. These are my opinions and nothing more. No one should have to qualify every statement they make with pointing that out. Yes, it's blunt and meant to incite conversation. No one need to get indignant or offended here.

-We all know Crown is is good...I'm speaking purely from a production standpoint.

-Everything I've listed in my original post is stuff I've seen in shows this year and last year. I'm not using hyperbole.

Edited by garfield

I don't understand.....BD is obviously the worst offender and is the one who has actually been dominating this activity....

Edited by Anstig
  • Like 4

Yes. I'll even go a couple decades further back. I'm a fan of pre-1980s drum corps, and marched in the 70s, and absolutely love what Crown is doing this year and have loved their artistic trajectory since 2007. I feel confident in saying that Fred Windish and I are not the only dinos who appreciate modern drum corps (not trying to pick on you Fred but you listed your age :cool:).

I'm not trying to argue you out of your misgivings about modern drum corps. Sorry to hear that Crown and recent changes in the activity aren't your cup of tea. But as a practical matter, I don't think the activity is going to go back to an earlier time. It never has - as you might be aware, one of the main reasons DCI was founded in the first place is because drum corps directors wanted more creative freedom. Tis' the nature of the activity I'm afraid. Personally, I appreciate and enjoy the constant change and evolution.

Age: 54, marched in the 1970's, taught, attending my 26th finals (ex-Cali, I'm afraid), run a show, have a kid who's about to try out, and used to take annual vacations around finals.

What ^^ he said.

If you want to know what DCI is really "about," take a look at the mission statements of different corps.

DCI is not about entertainment, it is about education. The purpose is not to entertain the audience, put butts in seats, or sell CDs. The goal of most corps is usually something like, "Creating lifelong excellence in youth through arts education." The point is that it doesn't matter what you (the audience) prefers. Shows are designed to provide the best arts curriculum for the education of the members. What constitutes the best arts curriculum is determined by what the judges value as having the best content.

The cat is already out of the bag and it isn't going back in.

I think I remember seeing amplified vibraphones on the field in the late 70's - early 80's. They had to have their own power source, if I remember correctly.

Anyone know for sure if this is true?

Not entirely...the power source was to run something to create a little vibrato....it did NOT amplify the sound at all.

Since when has Crown dominated DCI?

• Like 1