Carolina Crown: The future of DCI, or just a bad era like disco?

I don't know if Crown had anything to do with it, but I do agree OP that the additions you mention largely detract from the product on the field and are unnecessary. And the infantile responses don't provide a counter argument.

Is there anyone out there who was a fan of DCI and what it stood for pre-2004 who is actually excited about the direction it is now headed?

It's called "progress" my friend. Come, join us. Don't be afraid.

It's called change. Change does not equal progress.

This thread is funny......especially coming from a guy that has an avatar of the ONE corps whose best and most exciting moment this year is created by a synthesizer and not actual musicians.

Don't like ballet? Blame Cadets 87.

Don't like Neon colors? Blame the 80's

Don't like Trampolines? Ok you got us there. (didn't Star use them though?)

Don't like laying on the ground? I guess you hate Bridgemen

Change is good HockeyDad SAME is bad Same is boring Same is why wives cheat on their husbands Same is what keeps Pioneer in 22nd

• Like 3

I do think that for an activity that everyone claims is about the kids and how they perform, the increasing use of electronics and amplification for the most part actually takes away from the kids' chance to show their stuff. Pre-recorded narration, dead-simple synthesizer parts that overpower or replace the brass, soundboard guys adjusting the mix in real time. None of these things give the performers on the field an opportunity to demonstrate *their* skills. Instead, they are entirely about the skills of the designers.

For me, that makes the live performance itself less interesting and less vital. It takes away the performers' own sense of accomplishment. The larger part of a DCI performance these technologies become,the less the music is being produced by the members themselves. I cannot see how that trend is a positive change for the activity.

If you really want voice, let the kids do the narration live. If the pit needs amplification, set the levels during a pre-show soundcheck and then leave the dynamics to the performers. Want to use synth? Write a part that requires the same level of musicality and skill demanded of the brass and percussion players (see Crown 2011 for an appropriate example). Two-finger synth parts are an insult to the audience and the performer.

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

Hey leave Clown alone....I mean Crown. lol

I don't hate them. I just hate certain aspect of their recent productions. Their 2001 show is one of my all time favorite shows! I love that one and listen to it often on my iTunes.

If you want to know what DCI is really "about," take a look at the mission statements of different corps.

DCI is not about entertainment, it is about education. The purpose is not to entertain the audience, put butts in seats, or sell CDs. The goal of most corps is usually something like, "Creating lifelong excellence in youth through arts education." The point is that it doesn't matter what you (the audience) prefers. Shows are designed to provide the best arts curriculum for the education of the members. What constitutes the best arts curriculum is determined by what the judges value as having the best content.

The cat is already out of the bag and it isn't going back in.

I agree about education. Look at Racine Scouts last year - 12ish brass about 10 perc and 2 guard (although battery & brass helped out on occasion). Those kids learned about perseverance in the face of adversity. That is the kind of lesson that Drum Corps should teach (IMHO).

• Like 2

I agree about education. Look at Racine Scouts last year - 12ish brass about 10 perc and 2 guard (although battery & brass helped out on occasion). Those kids learned about perseverance in the face of adversity. That is the kind of lesson that Drum Corps should teach (IMHO).

That's cute... I marched in a 7 member hornline

• Like 1

That's cute... I marched in a 7 member hornline

But did you enjoy it, and look back on it with fondness? If the answer is yes, then the corps was successful.

• Like 2

Yawwwwnnnn.