Fan Reactions to Bluecoats "Pitch Bend" Ending 2014

According to the Bluecoats it is a sample of their hornline....nothing more..... and that is what it sounds like to me. When you digitally manipulate an acoustic sound to that degree, it begins to sound quite fake... plus we are hearing it through loud speakers. I agree that it does sound similar to a "sawtooth" but there is nothing really that leads me to believe that it isn't a sample of the real thing.

Also, if you can find a recording of the show from the press box or higher up in the stands (where the distance to the speakers is not significantly different than the hornline)... then the sound blends much better and is much less "synthesized."

Well, I gotta tell you I don't think there is any brass sample in there. But you may be right. I went and listened again to the San Antonio recording and all I can hear is synth with a sawtooth brass patch. I have a Korg M3 that has similar patches, and of course you can program these things to do all kinds of amazing things. But you make a good point about the sample once it's been manipulated by the synth and coming out those speakers. Either way, darned coolest effect I've seen in terms of using electronics and acoustic instruments for a marching show. That ending is amazing!!!

I know people want Bluecoats to change the ending, but I rather like it as is. If the judges keep rewarding it, don't fix what ain't broke. :-)

Regardless of what you think of it, you cannot deny it's getting a hell of a lot of attention and is one of the more talked about show moments this year. Simple, effective, and seamlessly integrated. And it gets me all sortsa excited when I hear it. :satisfied:

Well, I gotta tell you I don't think there is any brass sample in there. But you may be right. I went and listened again to the San Antonio recording and all I can hear is synth with a sawtooth brass patch. I have a Korg M3 that has similar patches, and of course you can program these things to do all kinds of amazing things. But you make a good point about the sample once it's been manipulated by the synth and coming out those speakers. Either way, darned coolest effect I've seen in terms of using electronics and acoustic instruments for a marching show. That ending is amazing!!!)

If you haven't listened to this, they talk about the process they went through with it later in there.

https://soundcloud.com/drum-corps-international/dci-field-pass-podcast-july-2-2014/s-O3EHa

• Like 1

Regardless of what you think of it, you cannot deny it's getting a hell of a lot of attention and is one of the more talked about show moments this year. Simple, effective, and seamlessly integrated. And it gets me all sortsa excited when I hear it. :satisfied:

If you haven't listened to this, they talk about the process they went through with it later in there.

https://soundcloud.com/drum-corps-international/dci-field-pass-podcast-july-2-2014/s-O3EHa

I cant lie...that ending gives me "material that comes from trees". Probably one of the best shows I've seen in the last 25 season, at least top 10.

• Like 1

It is all about recording mic placement.... and the mix the recording engineer decides on. I am pretty sure the Bluecoats never "turned it down"..... it is just the mics are usually on the worng side of the speakers. The Akron show and San Antonio were the only ones to have mics actually on the speakers.

Thanks for the info. Didn't make it to San Antonio this year because of knee surgery so I'm only using FanNetwork to get my Drum Corps fix. I've always loved the way corps sound in that Dome despite the echo. Not to mention getting to see all the corps and not sweat like a field hand in this Texas heat.

it is cool...

the problem is it doesn't take any talent to do, since it is all synth.

I can think of a number of "effects" these days that fall directly into that category.

I cant lie...that ending gives me "material that comes from trees". Probably one of the best shows I've seen in the last 25 season, at least top 10.

Not exactly sure what "material that comes from trees" means, but it's in my all time top 5. A list that includes Bridgemen '78, Phantom'89, Star '93, and Crown 2013. Not too shabby of a list despite only having one World Champion. I went from a "hater to an appreciator" of electronics the moment I heard that pitch blend,

Edited by bluesman

To me it sounds fake and synthesized - which it is. It's not really impressive at all.

Not exactly sure what "material that comes from trees" means, but it's in my all time top 5. A list that includes Bridgemen '78, Phantom'89, Star '93, and Crown 2013. Not too shabby of a list despite only having one World Champion. I went from a "hater to an appreciator" of electronics the moment I heard that pitch blend,

WOOD!!!!

Would not bang

I was recently called out for missing a musical reference and I sort of feel, most people get over a pitch blend with in 5 minutes of playing with a synth , so none of you played with a synth before?

It’s a good effect, just don’t get the big deal and considering it game changing????

• Like 1