Strongest Top 5s Ever?

Off top of my head it might be but these years have to be considered

Its hard to project the " best 5", as it probably collides with " our favorite 5 ", and these are not neccessarily the same thing.

1989 was a good year, as it had both 5 great corps, as well as 5 Corps all of whom I personally really enjoyed all top 5 shows a lot.

But this " strongest 5 ever ", speaks to performance abilities, and as such this years is pretty strong.

But 1980 had a VERY top 5 competitive field where not much separated the corps point wise, and at Championships week, 4 Corps really had a shot of winning.( as another poster stated correctly above ) Thats not going to happen this year. BD right now is the lead dog and its theres to lose right now after their convincing win last nite at the Atlanta Regionals.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Yeah #### I forgot 80.... BRASSO good catch my friend

To the degree that "strongest" correlates to "highest scoring", see this post.

With all due respect, scores are only relative to the year they are given..... A 99 now could've easily been a 97 back when

After last nights webcast, the thought that any of those shows in the current top 5 being 5th is astounding, but at the same time they'll probably deserve it because everyone up there is SO #### good this year.

So my question is this, what's been the strongest top 5 before and does this year have the chance of topping it?

I'm having the same thoughts, my friend. In some ways, it will be a travesty to even rank the top 5-6 corps. I don't think a sturdy case can be made that ANY of them should not be declared final champion. They are that strong! Still, a final rank is what we do. I'll go with Blue Devils ranked first. They have the most finely-stitched production. But, deeper down, I couldn't place a solid number, and defend it, on anyone else not earning top rank in their caption. The judges in Indy should NOT take comfort in whatever they decide. They are facing an impossible task.

I'll go on to say, the Cadets have really come together. I can see Cadets winning Allentown. I am also stunned by the brilliance of Santa Clara Vanguard. I haven't seen an ensemble effort as professional as this on Broadway itself. Hard to believe any of these performers, no matter where they place, spend their days living out of a BUS!

2014 will long be remembered.

1989! Wins for me for show variety and entertainment mixed with performance level. I still think that was the apex of the activity.

I feel like someone says these same things every single year.

This top 5 is the best ever.

This 6-12 is the best ever.

This group of non-finalist corps is the best ever.

Yup, as Ford Lincoln Mercury (from the Postman) says, "everything just keeps getting better."

35395f993adbefb40d1eca088ca7acdc8d1582f6

Off top of my head it might be but these years have to be considered

You lost me when you left out 1990. Probably best top 6 & 10 - 16 ever competitively.

Edited by jjeffeory