I got the feeling in the past lots of fans planned their summer vacations around where DCI was. There's a reason I have been to Madison multiple times , KC couple of times, Dallas, Jackson, etc, etc... But the exotic location of Indianapolis get's old fast.

...and Philadelphia and Ithaca and Montreal and Denver and...multi day trips planned around getting to and from each of these....

It's not so much just about finals week, at least not for me. It's about the access to shows throughout the season. The shows out west are the earliest of the season and usually separated by hundreds of miles and several days, especially where I live in the Northwest. Shows back east are much closer together both in distance and time. Fans often have several choices of shows over a few days - with drivable distances inbetween. Add to that the fact that shows are SO much better now than they were in early July.

Holding finals out west would provide some kind of balance to this. I don't suspect east coast people will support or even understand this plight for west coasters but it IS an issue.

I'm from and live in the Northeast and I support and understand the plight. I used to live in San Diego.

• Like 3

Lots of good reasons to have finals in CA, not the least of which are the sheer attendance numbers (25,000 at finals in 2007). I have no argument with Indy and their arrangement with DCI, but every 3 or 4 years, having Finals move west allows more exposure of the activity to States that are hungry to see these corps in their final rehearsed and peaked condition...with full shows. It's a win, win in my thinking.

There have been enough corps that traveled to CA over the last decade to get a general idea what the reverse tour costs and of course all the corps have 07 as a marker. If the cost (for the corps) is too prohibitive balanced against the gates in CA (multiple venues with most of the top corps, the last two weeks) then it's back to the drawing board. But something tells me DCI can make an occasional Finals in CA work. Besides......Daisy Duke bikinis on top!

• Like 1

Lots of good reasons to have finals in CA, not the least of which are the sheer attendance numbers (25,000 at finals in 2007). I have no argument with Indy and their arrangement with DCI, but every 3 or 4 years, having Finals move west allows more exposure of the activity to States that are hungry to see these corps in their final rehearsed and peaked condition...with full shows. It's a win, win in my thinking.

There have been enough corps that traveled to CA over the last decade to get a general idea what the reverse tour costs and of course all the corps have 07 as a marker. If the cost (for the corps) is too prohibitive balanced against the gates in CA (multiple venues with most of the top corps, the last two weeks) then it's back to the drawing board. But something tells me DCI can make an occasional Finals in CA work. Besides......Daisy Duke bikinis on top!

Wait! Who the heck is this? Plan?

Dood, where have you been. I've many times wished you had my back since August.

I didn't even read your post. Welcome back.

• Like 1

No, all of which is attendance. BUT, you know as I that DCI in CA after five years will not draw what Pasadena did after more than a decade. The activity, as a whole, will surely lose the East Coast fans when in CA. So, is it a net positive in BITS? I'm specious.

Still, you gotta make fans happy because they are a significant portion of the income of the activity.

I'm up for CA. It gives me a reason to buy a better motor home and get across the Rockies.

And a chance to see good friends.

Rain out in Rome tonight and Allentown looks bad for Friday. Weather here in Oregon has been pretty much perfect for weeks. I know there is zero chance of a DCI event being held here past July 3, but a girl can dream can't she?

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 2

Attendance does not necessarily equal profit. 2007 was no where near as profitable as Indianapolis has been. A move West for Championships means there will be less money to distribute to the corps - the exact opposite of what all corps desire. Indianapolis has been very profitable year after year, which is good for the corps, and thus the activity.

The trip West is very expensive. Asking corps that are not set to fund at the level necessary to make the trip (or do not have mutli-million dollar bingo operations to fund the trip), puts a lot of financial pressure (and thus instability) on a large number of corps. That's a terrible recipe for the activity.

I too detest going to Indy annually. We used to plan family vacations around Championships and got to see a lot of different places over the years. Now, we come in for Championships and leave.

Simply holding Championships on the West coast does not solve the issue of there being a lack of multiple shows within a short driving distance to see. There will still be the same number of shows, the same distance apart - just the big dance at the end. Most of hte rest of the country experiences the same thing the West does - the tour is only in their part of the country for a short period of time. Granted, the Northeast gets to see the corps at their best year on year. The tour could be reversed (Allentown, Atlanta, San Antonio, Minneapolis, Indianapolis), but that would actually increase milage for most corps. That increases costs unnecessarily.

Do we want Championships in our backyard, and corps to fold? Or do we want the most efficient and profitable tour we can devise?

Wait! Who the heck is this? Plan?

Dood, where have you been. I've many times wished you had my back since August.

I didn't even read your post. Welcome back.

G....

I have watched you from afar Grasshopper....you have done well in my absence. Grabbing the pebble from my hand, you have fearlessly battled the evil tribes from the lands of Brassovakia, Corpsbandwidth and the far Reamlands......even smiting the odd troll from time to time. Now I return to do battle alongside of you, as we approach the heart of Middle West and the great hills of the Indianapolises, land of the golf clap.

• Like 5

There are lots of logistics to consider. It's great that SCV and BD, and a few others, have the money and resources to come east and midwest each year, but many east and midwest corps do not always have that ability. It's also extremely hard on scheduling. Basically most of the shows have to be re-worked. Big regional shows get bumped up and others get moved back, and the same is true for local shows. And cost can be incredible for DCI. It all depends on what they get from the city.

Having said that, once every 5 years should be something DCI considers. Four years in Indy, one elsewhere, and so on.

But it would not always be west. I can definitely see Texas again. Dallas, San Antonio, maybe even Austin or Houston. Denver was a good site. Madison is awesome and I know they'd love to have us back. Akron (OH), I believe, needs to bid for a finals. That stadium is fantastic, as all of you can see from the early DCI Cinecast. Honestly, I'd love to see DCI on the blue turf of Boise State (ID). Great city, it's west, big enough I think (both the city and the stadium), but maybe the blue would be too much as a palette under the corps.

It's not just BD and SCV that come east every year. The cost excuse is a red herring. If The Academy, Pacific Crest and Mandarins can do it, any of the eastern corps can go west.

It's not just BD and SCV that come east every year. The cost excuse is a red herring. If The Academy, Pacific Crest and Mandarins can do it, any of the eastern corps can go west.

Uh, Cascades and Oregon Crusaders belong on the list of far to go corps.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 2