Allentown. . . DAY TWO !

What's the latest weather conditions in Allentown? Does it look like the show will go on. Sorry if this was addressed earlier. GO ACADEMY!

Does anyone know why the Allentown show is two nights and split up like that? It seems like it would make more sense just to start early on Saturday and do all 22 corps that day. One less day or renting the stadium seems like it would save quite a bit of money. I have never really seen this discussed anywhere before, so I am sorry if I missed the discussion. I could understand if they did it on two consecutive weeknights, but being on the weekend just doesn't make much sense to split it up

It could have a lot to do with $$$$$$, but also the other 2 regionals are held in climate controlled dome stadiums, could another reason be the heat of summer since the show would need to start around 2pm ?

Weather update; At this moment (1:40PM) Allentown is sunny, warm, temperature 78 degrees. Local TV says MAYBE an isolated shower in the area tonight. But, we can't confirm what will actually happen until we hear from our favorite drum corps weather guys!

For some history -

The first Allentown DCI Eastern Championship (1977) featured the following corps, in performance order, for Prelims:

Avant Garde

Centurians

Velvet Knights

Simplex Minutemen

CMCC Warriors

Mighty Liberators

Patriots

Les Boucliers

PAL Cadets

Bridgemen

Squires

Boston Crusaders

Imperials

Holy Family Defenders

Grenadiers

Kingsmen

Cadets

Columbians

Seneca Optimists

Phantom Regiment

27th Lancers

Madison Scouts

Oakland Crusaders

Black Watch

Anaheim Kingsmen

North Star

New York Lancers

Gauchos

Bengal Lancers

Belvederes

Meadowlarks

General Butler Vagabonds

Crossmen

Bon Bons

Saints

Royal Crusaders

and the winner of that first Allentown DCI Eastern Championship appears tonight !

And only five of them still around unless there were mergers.
  • Like 1

What's the latest weather conditions in Allentown? Does it look like the show will go on. Sorry if this was addressed earlier. GO ACADEMY!

Currently in Allentown, it's cloudy, temperature 78 degrees. Looking at a local TV station radar map, there are tiny percipitation areas located about 100 miles away. Bigger percipitation areas are showing more than 200 miles away. I don't know how fast those things can pop-up and travel, but it looks to this untrained eye to be far less an issue than last night. My guess is, if any rain fails, it will be brief and later tonight, hopefully after 11pm. Can't imagine the first corps won't kick-off as scheduled. Should be a little cooler than last night, too!

Edited by Fred Windish

5 corps left?

Yes, that list is pretty thought provoking. Wasn't the biggest group of corps to appear here. Don't remember the year, but we had 56 corps over a Friday/Saturday Prelims, with 12 appearing again Saturday night in Finals. Gates opened for Finals just 75 minutes after the end of Prelims!

Edited by Fred Windish

Fred, a question or two:

1. Is Pineville open to any comers?

2. If so, is it located across the street from the Lower gate?

Thanks

Fred, a question or two:

1. Is Pineville open to any comers?

2. If so, is it located across the street from the Lower gate?

Thanks

Open to anyone? I suppose, technically, no. However, they are some wonderful people with many stories to tell. I'm sure they are friendly enough to greet new fans who wander in. They do rent their area for parking themselves in advance, so no place for others to park. Walk in and shout, is Jeff Ream here yet? Tell him I sent you.

It is opposite the lower Main Gate (Gate 1) between the committee staff parking at the corner, and the area back to the HamFam Diner. It's under those very tall pine trees. One fellow has been parking that huge gray motor home there for years.

Edited by Fred Windish

Weather update; At this moment (1:40PM) Allentown is sunny, warm, temperature 78 degrees. Local TV says MAYBE an isolated shower in the area tonight. But, we can't confirm what will actually happen until we hear from our favorite drum corps weather guys!

For some history -

The first Allentown DCI Eastern Championship (1977) featured the following corps, in performance order, for Prelims:

Avant Garde

Centurians

Velvet Knights

Simplex Minutemen

CMCC Warriors

Mighty Liberators

Patriots

Les Boucliers

PAL Cadets

Bridgemen

Squires

Boston Crusaders

Imperials

Holy Family Defenders

Grenadiers

Kingsmen

Cadets

Columbians

Seneca Optimists

Phantom Regiment

27th Lancers

Madison Scouts

Oakland Crusaders

Black Watch

Anaheim Kingsmen

North Star

New York Lancers

Gauchos

Bengal Lancers

Belvederes

Meadowlarks

General Butler Vagabonds

Crossmen

Bon Bons

Saints

Royal Crusaders

and the winner of that first Allentown DCI Eastern Championship appears tonight !The

The First and Last corps I marched with went on right next to each other! The Columbians and The Cadets!