2014 World Championships Semi Finals

I love Star 91, but they didn't even win horns that year. They tied BD :)

Ok. Add BD 91 to the list. :tounge2:

I predict SCV passes Bluecoats tonight...

If they do / no one can complain about dirty being rewarded. Bluecoats feet were great tonight. SCV - great forms - feet - rough. But they hit the forms

I don't think BD's guard is overrated at all. I think what they do transcends the requirements for the guard sheets. It's as if they are all professional actors.

Agreed. The guard writing is incredible and they perform flawlessly. That being said, it is a very different style of writing than many corps use. The thing that stands out with BD's guard is the level of expression the writing and execution their production portrays, and in accordance with the sheets, this is exactly what they've done. I understand why guard members in other corps that are running around the field and doing difficult work would be upset at why BD gets the points, but all in all it really does make sense when you consider the expressivity and range of emotion BD's guard portrays. Different strokes I guess. Edited by Bannedforlife
  • Like 4

Quote of the day:

Dat dat digitty digitty dat splat plunk de bop bop digitty digitty do dat dat. Splooooooooge.

-Notabando

hahaha yes!

• Like 1

The field show sound is full dynamics... if you think they're "compressing", you're probably hearing the effect of shotgun mics and the array setup that combats the dome effects... but that's not compression.

There is data compression, but I know it's running at 192 AAC. So if you guys are hearing something different, let me know. I have a huge dynamic range; the stream reminds me of the CDs from the early 1990s.

Drumcat, you're completely correct. I also hear no compression, and 192 AAC is pretty darn high quality.

If someone is hearing compression, they're either misunderstanding what they're actually referring to in regards to "compression", OR (and just tossing this out there for the sake of being completely transparent about how Brightcove works) their internet connection is sluggish and they're being thrown an adaptive bitrate by Brightcove which is giving them a lesser quality broadcast for the tradeoff of still being able to watch the show. I will occasionally see this occur from time to time (even on my 90/10 Mbps connection) but it always quickly scales back up to the higher bitrate thereafter. If someone sits on or locks into the lesser bitrate, then they might be getting 96 kbps audio or similar. But this could be the only scenario I could imagine, outside of perhaps just less than perfect mic positioning for a given corps. But again, that's not compression.

Everything this evening sounded wonderful to me, and it was a pleasure to watch this without a hitch on my 60" with a pretty intense Harmon-Kardon receiver and Infinity surround setup. Thanks DCI!!!

• Like 1

Agreed. The guard writing is incredible and they perform flawlessly. That being said, it is a very different style of writing than many corps use. The thing that stands out with BD's guard is the level of expression the writing and execution of that portrays, and in accordance with the sheets, this is exactly what they've done. I understand why guard members in other corps that are running around the field and doing difficult work would be upset at why BD gets the points, but all in all it really does make sense when you consider the expressivity and range of emotion BD's guard portrays. Different strokes I guess.

Well said.

• Like 2