2014 World Championships Semi Finals

What makes you say that, precisely? I'd love to know what you'd describe as different in the beginning to the end... maybe I can get that information to people... but I can't describe it; I didn't hear it. Let me know.

I am a location classical recording engineer, and know compression when I hear it! I don't know where in the chain it was occurring, but I doubt I was getting more than 15-20dB of dynamic range tonight. It did get a bit better later on -- perhaps because I chatted with FN about it and they said they'd inform the stadium crew after the second block of corps -- but some of it may have occurred farther down the line than the stadium crew had control over, as you say.

However, with source material like drum corps, it would be plain irresponsible to run WITHOUT a little protection from overs, be it a limiter or compressor of some type. All I'm saying is that effective compression shouldn't attract attention to itself ... and it was obvious at my end. Without the ability to lend you my ears, you'll have to take my word for it :).

BTW, listening here through a Benchmark DAC1 with Sennheiser 650s.

• Like 1

Holy #### PR beat Crown in percussion... that's when you know Crown's percussion needs to get it together. No offense to PR at all. Huge props to them for the improvement they've made this year from last year!

• Like 1

HA. I was pretty close to doing an actual spit take though.

As was I.

What I mean is I hear the compressor reacting to loud peaks in the music because it's not following the natural attack/release tendencies of the music properly. An optimal compression setting will minimize those artifacts to the point that they aren't as noticeable, and some compressors are just better at it than others.

Do you have a local compressor in your chain? What sound card is pushing those Genelecs?