Well, there exists a really good recording of the drumline and pit... with some horns or something in the background.

:-)

I have some pretty ballsy rehearsal and lot recordings of that show though, including Wayne running the be-bopper section.

So I actually went and watched BD show.

WITH an open mind.

This is what I have to say.

The show was kinda neat. Neat in the fact that they were incredibly clean, and that at one point of the show, someone was throwing rifles around and they were being caught. That was kinda "neat" to see.

I take back some of what I said before about the show being easy or not much demand. There was some demand there. It was cool that some of the difficult moves that they did (although there really weren't a whole lot of them), were really, really clean.

But overall, the show was just boring to me. Not once did I think to myself "wow", "holy crap", or get one tingle down my spine. It was emotionally cold. It was good, and they performed it incredibly well, but there was really nothing exciting about it.

I could say the same about The Cadets this year as well, but this topic isn't about them.

And as far as audience reaction, there was a heck of a lot more reaction for the Bluecoats than anyone. Glad to see them win a silver medal. Their show did have some really, really neat stuff, was "cool", aggressive, etc. Not as innovative as what BD did.

I just feel nonplussed that the judges reward a program like this one. Nothing about this program stood out as anything special except for how it was performed.

As far as I'm concerned, 2005 Cadets and 2002 Cavaliers were programs that were better written.

Would be neat to see what would happen had all 3 of these programs been performed in the same year.

As far as 99.65, well I think that has to do with how much better the were than the competition....to be honest, as far as the Bluecoats went, BD still out executed everyone by a large margin.

It's too bad that the judges couldn't have rewarded Bluecoats with more GE, seeing as how they were the clear fan favorite this year - which really only goes to show that the judges don't give a flying f* about what the fans want. Nor does DCI, for that matter.

What the BD did this year was well done. It wasn't really drum corps, it was pageantry. If I wanted to go to a Broadway show, I'd go to one.

But DCI and their judges have made it clear that DCI is now a pageantry competition. They made that point loud and clear.

Too bad, because I fear now that a fan favorite show may never win a DCI title again. That is what I'm taking away from this season.

That being said, congrats to those who marched BD this year, was an incredible display of execution.

Edited by BoyWonder1911
  • Like 1

WITH an open mind.

The show was kinda neat. Neat in the fact that they were incredibly clean, and that at one point of the show, someone was throwing rifles around and they were being caught. That was kinda "neat" to see.

I take back some of what I said before about the show being easy or not much demand. There was some demand there. It was cool that some of the difficult moves that they did (although there really weren't a whole lot of them), were really, really clean.

But overall, the show was just boring to me. Not once did I think to myself "wow", "holy crap", or get one tingle down my spine. It was emotionally cold. It was good, and they performed it incredibly well, but there was really nothing exciting about it.

I could say the same about The Cadets this year as well, but this topic isn't about them.

And as far as audience reaction, there was a heck of a lot more reaction for the Bluecoats than anyone. Glad to see them win a silver medal. Their show did have some really, really neat stuff, was "cool", aggressive, etc. Not as innovative as what BD did.

I just feel nonplussed that the judges reward a program like this one. Nothing about this program stood out as anything special except for how it was performed.

As far as I'm concerned, 2005 Cadets and 2002 Cavaliers were programs that were better written.

Would be neat to see what would happen had all 3 of these programs been performed in the same year.

As far as 99.65, well I think that has to do with how much better the were than the competition....to be honest, as far as the Bluecoats went, BD still out executed everyone by a large margin.

It's too bad that the judges couldn't have rewarded Bluecoats with more GE, seeing as how they were the clear fan favorite this year - which really only goes to show that the judges don't give a flying f* about what the fans want. Nor does DCI, for that matter.

What the BD did this year was well done. It wasn't really drum corps, it was pageantry. If I wanted to go to a Broadway show, I'd go to one.

But DCI and their judges have made it clear that DCI is now a pageantry competition. They made that point loud and clear.

Too bad, because I fear now that a fan favorite show may never win a DCI title again. That is what I'm taking away from this season.

That being said, congrats to those who marched BD this year, was an incredible display of execution.

Could not agree more. Congrats to BD on an excellent show but there are better written shows out there. That's was what I was ranting about earlier. Fear not though. Crown still exists and 2013 will not be their only title and Bluecoats could be on the rise after this year, so fan-favorite shows will still win. There will also be years like 2006, where BD comes in 4th and a fan favorite wins. Or a year like 2002, where BD gets their butts handed to them by a show that is better written then anything BD has ever produced. Edited by crosstocross12

WITH an open mind.

Is it really so hard to just say you found some things they did were "neat", instead of the backhanded compliments? It's hard to take anything you say seriously, much less the fan favorite comment.

• Like 3

I feel like I've stepped into an alternate reality hahaha

'Perfect is a simple concept in DC....it's relative. Just like, on most days you are OOk, but at a moment in time we may see you as perfect.....you're still OOk..... but for THAT moment....you are superOOk (among all the other OOk's)! :tounge2:

Edited by Plan9

Could not agree more. Congrats to BD on an excellent show but there are better written shows out there. That's was what I was ranting about earlier. Fear not though. Crown still exists and 2013 will not be their only title and Bluecoats could be on the rise after this year, so fan-favorite shows will still win. There will also be years like 2006, where BD comes in 4th and a fan favorite wins. Or a year like 2002, where BD gets their butts handed to them by a show that is better written then anything BD has ever produced.

BD was third in 06. Bluecoats was fourth and well over three points behind BD. And i could be wrong but i thought the fan favorite in 06 was PR with their show Faust. Again i could be mistaken.

• Like 1