2015 Predictions

I'm still ticked my Mayweather-Blue devils thread disappeared.

• Like 2

I'm still ticked my Mayweather-Blue devils thread disappeared.

a TKO.

Are we allowed to change our predictions if we've seen the Cadets stuff on the periscope cam?

I'd like to move them down to 4th and SCV up to 3rd.

If not allowed, then that's fine. Could be a toss up anyway.

Well most drum corps could certainly learn a few things from her I think.

Care to elaborate on this?

Are we allowed to change our predictions if we've seen the Cadets stuff on the periscope cam?

I'd like to move them down to 4th and SCV up to 3rd.

If not allowed, then that's fine. Could be a toss up anyway.

Actually, I thought this moved them up in my books. I'm really sold on their show so far.

• Like 1

I am having a problem comprehending a lot of the design choices they've made so far. They may march and play the living crap out of the show, but the show itself can only take them so far. Just like last year's Crown.

Not sure what this show is trying to say.

Power of 10?

Power of Shostakovich's 10th?

Power of the number 10 in general?

Power of 10 as in orders of magnitude?

I think they have an idea of what they want to say, but they're investing too much into the Shostakovich 10th part of the deal.

10 being an extra-ordinary number, bridging the world together, being the base of the universal language we call mathematics.

One of those "The World is One Happy Collective" shows that Hopkins likes, but this time they just completely missed the mark when building their show around this idea.

Now it's just another Phantom 2002 show with better drill and arrangements.

"Whoops, we now have 7 minutes of Shostakovich and a ballad that uses only 20 yards of space on the field. Let's just make the corps play faster and hopefully the judges will just judge our show based on that."

The demand is there in this show to win, but I really think the design flaws will hold it back significantly. Unfortunate, because Sactig is an incredible drill designer and I don't think he had a whole lot of clarity on the idea to work with.

All of this is just speculation, of course.

That's what predictions are, speculation.

I'm still thinking about moving them to 4th.

• Like 1

10 being an extra-ordinary number, bridging the world together, being the base of the universal language we call mathematics.

Actually 2 would be the number that's ultimately bringing the world together (ie binary). (of course 2 = 102 )

And math works just fine in any base. We started off with base 10 but now understand that base is arbitrary.

• Like 1

Haven't been on here in a while (lots of gigs recently), but I'm a little shocked by all the Miley Cyrus stuff. This prediction thread has come a long way. :) I didn't see the Periscope stuff from last night until this morning, but I like where the show is going for Cadets.

When a corps offers this much insight it can be a little hard for many fans to grasp the full potential of a show. You're seeing many of the changes, the dirt, the cluttered transitions that have not yet been polished, the temporary staging, and so on. To my eyes and ears they look sharp and if I had a small concern for this stage it would be the ballad. The waltz seemed fine to me, just not completely staged yet. The ballad that comes before it seems to meander a bit. I also agree with one of the earlier posts about Cadets show name, "The Power of 10." I think the show will ultimately be better than the name. But honestly most of us do not know where they plan to take some of this stuff. They do look and play great!

I'm very excited to hear Bluecoats. The repertoire they are playing is fantastic, and I may like it even more than last year's show. They are a bit more secretive about pre-season audio and video, but nothing wrong with that. Each corps has their method. No doubt we can expect typical Bluecoats Brass and Percussion power and precision come the start of the season. And I love their show theme...Kinetic Noise! Lots of possibilities here.

I've seen one clip of the Blue Devils and they looked and sounded AMAZING! I cannot repeat myself enough about how much I love those modified King horns they are playing. Fantastic sound!

I'm also excited to see Phantom Regiment. I love the Saint-Saens Organ Symphony (Symphony No. 3 I believe). When they performed it in 1990 I enjoyed it but felt they could have done more. Not sure how much of that music they plan to present, but their rep sounds wonderful.

There are going to be some great shows this summer. Tough to predict anything right now. My guess is that the Blue Devils will be hard to beat, but hopefully that's pushing everyone else to rise to new levels, and I'm certain it's affecting design choices.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1

I am having a problem comprehending a lot of the design choices they've made so far. They may march and play the living crap out of the show, but the show itself can only take them so far. Just like last year's Crown.

Not sure what this show is trying to say.

Power of 10?

Power of Shostakovich's 10th?

Power of the number 10 in general?

Power of 10 as in orders of magnitude?

I think they have an idea of what they want to say, but they're investing too much into the Shostakovich 10th part of the deal.

One of those "The World is One Happy Collective" shows that Hopkins likes, but this time they just completely missed the mark when building their show around this idea.

Now it's just another Phantom 2002 show with better drill and arrangements.

"Whoops, we now have 7 minutes of Shostakovich and a ballad that uses only 20 yards of space on the field. Let's just make the corps play faster and hopefully the judges will just judge our show based on that."

The demand is there in this show to win, but I really think the design flaws will hold it back significantly. Unfortunate, because Sactig is an incredible drill designer and I don't think he had a whole lot of clarity on the idea to work with.

All of this is just speculation, of course.

That's what predictions are, speculation.

I'm still thinking about moving them to 4th.

Move them to 4th then. I didn't realize you had to ask permission to change what you wrote in a thread. Besides, everyone already knows how you feel about this year's show anyway so I'm sure your mind won't be changed regardless.

• Like 1