2015 Predictions

I think Cadets look and sound great. It's loaded with demand, variety of moods from fast and frenzied in the beginning to a beautiful lushious sound for the ballad. The Waltz then has great electronics creating a more modern feel and that tempo picks up then we will have a crazy fast Cadets ending (I heard but haven't seen on the field as they are learning it now).. If you like Cadets, you'll love this show, if you hate Cadets, you'll find something wrong with something,

The other corps I was impressed with was BD. a very short clip that was taken down 10 seconds later but demonstrated an amazing brass sound and a color guard that was handling a very windy day extremely well.

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

The power of 10 is all about how Hop is fond of the logarithm. The natural log, or log base e, is okay, but his first love is the log base 10. That first love is a powerful memory. You may not recall, but when Hop took math you had to look up logarithms in a table in the back of the book. There was no use of calculators. They were new, expensive, and used reverse Polish notation.

Tobias, did you just use waltz and electronics in the same sentence?

Tobias, did you just use waltz and electronics in the same sentence?

He did. I personally found the the amount of synth used in the waltz to be excessive.

• Like 1

I am having a problem comprehending a lot of the design choices they've made so far. They may march and play the living crap out of the show, but the show itself can only take them so far. Just like last year's Crown.

The demand is there in this show to win, but I really think the design flaws will hold it back significantly. Unfortunate, because Sactig is an incredible drill designer and I don't think he had a whole lot of clarity on the idea to work with.

I see what you're saying, and it makes total sense. The thing that I think is going to be on their side, though, is that there's still a lot of room for development with the show theme, and if the staff plays their cards right, that can be a very good thing.

From what I've seen, shows that come "fully developed" right out of the gates, or that reach their fully developed state early on in the season, tend to peak early with GE and such, leaving their scores stagnated going into the later part of the season. Shows that have room to grow and develop through the seasons CAN (definitely not guaranteed every time, by a long shot...see my own experience in 2012...) have the opportunity to use that growth to their advantage, as both judges and audiences track the growth and improvement of the show throughout the season. Plus, as an audience, it can be even more exciting to see a show grow into something amazing from where it started.

Like you said, this is all speculation, and what I've described definitely is not a blanket comment that applies in every situation. But it's a hope that I have!

Yes i did. I like they're throwing it all out there and will take the entire season to adjust and refine vs. last season where they were so clean so early and then fizzled out.

The power of 10 is all about how Hop is fond of the logarithm. The natural log, or log base e, is okay, but his first love is the log base 10. That first love is a powerful memory. You may not recall, but when Hop took math you had to look up logarithms in a table in the back of the book. There was no use of calculators. They were new, expensive, and used reverse Polish notation.

I always used a slide rule -- cheap, mostly accurate, and never needed batteries.

Yes i did. I like they're throwing it all out there and will take the entire season to adjust and refine vs. last season where they were so clean so early and then fizzled out.

Well, their design changes may have fizzled out at the end last season, but the quality of playing/marching was beast at the end....no fizzle.

I always used a slide rule -- cheap, mostly accurate, and never needed batteries.

It was accurate enough to get people to the moon and back.

• Like 1