Staff merrigoround

Should've told them about Float and Ralphie, too!

they know Ralph, he had judged them and they know the sticks and 87 SCV

• Like 1

Given a choice of hiring an instructor that is 35, relatively inexperienced, but expertly qualified, or an instructor that is 55, experienced, and similarly expertly qualified, all else being equal, I'd go with the latter. If the judges are 55 and over, go with an instructor that is 55 and older. If my hire doesn't need a name tag pinned to his shirt when all the judges, staffers get together for off season convention smooze over brie and wine, this is a GOOD thing in my view. But if a few others here on DCP think its not all that important for the judges to know you all that well if they run into you on the hotel elevators one might share from floor to floor, then thats fine too.

Sometimes it seems to me that a few posters here on DCP forget however ( or were not aware ) that when George Zingalli was revolutionizing DCI Corps drill design in the 80's, he was only in his late 20's, early 30's... and that the DCI Visual and Guard judges that were evaluating his new and progressive designs in the 80's, in DCI competitions were in several cases, close to his age ( 30's ) as well. Zingalli absolutely benefitted back then that some of the judges were his age and receptive to his new designs. Had DCI utilized Visual and Guard judges in the 70's, 80's that were over 55 and in some cases 70 years old ( as they do now ), there is little doubt in my mind that a Visual and Guard judge born around 1900- 1910, 1920, back then would not have taken all that well by contrast to Zingalli's Visuals and use of Guard in DCI Corps in the late 70's to the mid 80's. Zingalli's age was simpatico with the Visual and Guard judges back then at the time however... they swam in the same young waters as he. They knew him.. and he them. Was this important ? You can bet your life, it was.. Thats what I know anyway.

given the massive changes in DCI and how shows are done, and the results you see, I dont think the older folks you deride have had any issues keeping up.

• Like 1

which is part of why I respect what the young team at Bluecoats did this year with their creative re-packaging that gave us Tilt.

and yet those AARP people in Concord keep changing the game all the time. imagine that

• Like 5

which is part of why I respect what the young team at Bluecoats did this year with their creative re-packaging that gave us Tilt.

Loved the BLUECOATS in 2014.

BUT.

Creative ?

re - packaging yes.

I saw 3 HS bands PERFORM TILT previous to BLUECOATS.

• Like 2

not angry at all. Any association should always be on the lookout for new talent. But you don't just pitch people out the door because they hit a certain number of calendar turns.

Jeff,

you know as well as me that some of the greats, STILL producing top products and not kids. I had this discussion with someone today, how it takes an army of staff to do what some of the older instructors did pretty much alone. Relevance and longevity ONLY occurs when one continually learns and comes to those able to prove it. I can't tell you over the years young talent that has come and gone. There's a reason for longevity and should be respected in all aspects. I also have found those who don't, never really had it themselves. Do I think some judges need to go? SURE! do I think some new blood would be nice? YES! Do either have to do with age? NOT AT ALL.

What's really archaic is thinking that in 2014 age has anything to do with talent, relevance or ability. That goes for young or old.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Jeff,

you know as well as me that some of the greats, STILL producing top products and not kids. I had this discussion with someone today, how it takes an army of staff to do what some of the older instructors did pretty much alone. Relevance and longevity ONLY occurs when one continually learns and comes to those able to prove it. I can't tell you over the years young talent that has come and gone. There's a reason for longevity and should be respected in all aspects. I also have found those who don't, never really had it themselves. Do I think some judges need to go? SURE! do I think some new blood would be nice? YES! Do either have to do with age? NOT AT ALL.

What's really archaic is thinking that in 2014 age has anything to do with talent, relevance or ability. That goes for young or old.

What we need is $$$$$$$ to keep exceptional staff. We have people who are good, but it takes that extra special dedication to do this AND sacrifice income. Age doesn't matter. Skills and ideas matter.

• Like 1

BUT.

Creative ?

re - packaging yes.

You saw 3 bands perform "to wALk or ruN in wEst harlem", uffe's woodshop", "Platinum Rows", and "The Hymn of Axciom"? Wow, I mean work in a Texas district with two BOA finalist bands but even I think that's pushing their abilities...

BUT.

Creative ?

re - packaging yes.

Certainly we are not disagreeing at all.

Elements of the Coats Tilt show go back to The Sacramento Freelancers, the Canadian girls corps, BD's Tommy show, and Cadets 2006 with which the current Coats visual staff is intimately familiar. By creative I mean that Coats did it in a way that made us think it was all startling new.