Staff merrigoround

John Leonard is apparently back at Phantom to be guard caption head. Any confirmations?

When was he last at Phantom and in what role?

If true, does it mean Annie Pelka is no longer caption head? - unless it's means it's a co-caption head role.

When was he last at Phantom and in what role?

If true, does it mean Annie Pelka is no longer caption head? - unless it's means it's a co-caption head role.

He was there in 2010. Only saw the posting on social media earlier from some guard people who spun for him. Waiting for official confirmation.

is this good?

Who knows. From what I could see, he was with Vanguard in 2009 and Phantom in 2010 and the guard caption head for Crossmen for the past few years.

IMO Phantom's guard last year was quite decent. They didn't have the equipment book of other guards above them, but they did a great job. They dropped 5 positions from 2013 but it didn't look like it when watching them perform - at least from these eyes. I clearly remember watching the guard in 2010 and really hoping tosses and spins would be caught/together.

To be honest, this wasn't a caption where I expected to see a change. They already had a big change the year before.

Edited by Lincoln

Who knows. From what I could see, he was with Vanguard in 2009 and Phantom in 2010 and the guard caption head for Crossmen for the past few years.

IMO Phantom's guard last year was quite decent. They didn't have the equipment book of other guards above them, but they did a great job. They dropped 5 positions from 2013 but it didn't look like it when watching them perform - at least from these eyes. I clearly remember watching the guard in 2010 and really hoping tosses and spins would be caught/together.

To be honest, this wasn't a caption where I expected to see a change. They already had a big change the year before.

To me - it's not even about the caption head, but the role of their guard overall. Ever since they went back to an all female guard - every program has been specifically designed around a "feminine" theme with emphasis on the guard to portray the female story line.

It was a smart move the first year with "Juliet" as it served to re-introduce the guard - but I think that over the last 3 years, it has become more and more of a problem, as the guard is somewhat boxed in as to what they can do and the type of portrayal that they can program.

I'm really hoping the show is non literal (or at least not based on a female character) this year so that the guard design has more freedom!

Later,

Mike

• Like 5

To me - it's not even about the caption head, but the role of their guard overall. Ever since they went back to an all female guard - every program has been specifically designed around a "feminine" theme with emphasis on the guard to portray the female story line.

It was a smart move the first year with "Juliet" as it served to re-introduce the guard - but I think that over the last 3 years, it has become more and more of a problem, as the guard is somewhat boxed in as to what they can do and the type of portrayal that they can program.

I'm really hoping the show is non literal (or at least not based on a female character) this year so that the guard design has more freedom!

Later,

Mike

THANK YOU!

this is why I think they need to go back to a mixed guard IF they are going to continue story lines.... but I hope they get away from that anyway at least for a year

THANK YOU!

this is why I think they need to go back to a mixed guard IF they are going to continue story lines.... but I hope they get away from that anyway at least for a year

Problem was they didnt just go to all female just to do female themes. There was way more behind that decision back then.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Later,

Mike

you were going where i was thinking in the statement following the one in bold. they're allowing the design to box them in and aren't taking the risks for innovation that are required to be in the top echelon of guards. they can't always be simple, elegant, and beautiful in the same old predictable ways.

Edited by chaos001