Staff merrigoround

RULE 1 . Never teach for the score. Make better people . Make better humans thru the marching arts. scores are opinions . People are real.

Edited.

These are my feelings, tested through years of teaching and observing.

I don't think you ever do anyone justice when you declare yourself (or anyone else in the activity) "screwed".

• Like 7

Just be glad L you didn't compete in the VFW Nationals when Tony S. ruled supreme.

Point taken, but another reason to be thankful for DCI (and one of the reasons it was founded)

• Like 4

not entirely.

In what way are they not opinions?

The criteria is set up so that 3 different people on the same night, judging the same caption could give a completely different score.

How is that not opinions?

Then why point out the fact that he only has "6 posts to his name"?

I wasn't implying that his opinion counted any less (or that drum corps knowledge was directly proportional to DCP post counts), just that it seemed awfully quick to pick up a persecution complex or talk about something being "classic DCP"-- that kind of generalization would seem like something you would pick up on over time, not right off the bat. Obviously just my opinion.

• Like 1

In what way are they not opinions?

The criteria is set up so that 3 different people on the same night, judging the same caption could give a completely different score.

How is that not opinions?

there are benchmarks for success and rating. there is some interpretation, but it's close to where the judging framework is setup.

Year 1 Buick,

Believe me, someone can be reading these DCP posts (lurking in DCP terminology) for years before being professionally free to post on DCP.

Were you aware that a common entertainment on many corps busses this summer was after shows enroute to new places to read DCP posts for the day and vote on "the most ludicrous," "the most obnoxious," and sometimes "the most realistic?" I heard this from two of my sponsorees who don't know each other and marched 2 different world class corps. Tends to put in perspective the myths in which we live.

Edited by xandandl

Year 1 Buick,

Believe me, someone can be reading these DCP posts (lurking in DCP terminology) for years before being professionally free to post on DCP.

Were you aware that a common entertainment on many corps busses this summer was after shows enroute to new places to read DCP posts for the day and vote on "the most ludicrous," "the most obnoxious," and sometimes "the most realistic?" I heard this from two of my sponsorees who don't know each other and marched 2 different world class corps. Tends to put in perspective the myths in which we live.

Yep, this does happen as well as acting out some rants of a few posters/

Edited by GUARDLING

Year 1 Buick,

I think a bus ride activity like this would be taken more seriously if the winners of "most ludicrous, most obnoxious and most realistic" were somehow made aware of their winning and were awarded appropriate prizes which could remain on trophy shelves within their homes.

Aside from what you have commented on, I don't see a listing of the award winners.

Edited by Lincoln