Show ideas for next year's corps?

Wow! I can't believe people are comparing Madison '95 to Blue Devils 2014.

The crowd went APE over Madison that year. The last time I heard a crowd react that insanely over a Blue Devils show was 1986. Hey, 2014 BD was great and arguably the best ever (still think '05 Cadets was better because it tied highest score ever at that point, had a large gap, and won all captions), but if we're talking crowd pleasing, '95 Madison and '86 Devils took the cake. If we're talking loudest crowd reaction ever hands down, I would say '79 Spirit takes that prize.

Edited by wallace

Perhaps the music of Gustavo Santaolalla? He's written so many film scores, and I think an arranger could find eleven minutes' worth of great music.

Brokeback Mountain, eh? Even ten years later, I wonder if that would yet be too controversial for drum corps. Sounds good to me, though. Go for it, Troopers!

Oh, I didn't see it, either, although it is reportedly a fine film with superb acting (and it won the director, Ang Lee, the first of his two best director Oscars, although curiously no film of his has even won the Oscar for best picture; parenthetically, it occurs to me that MikeD's band once played music (by another composer) from a different Lee film). I was just thinking the title alone would alarm some audience members. But maybe if they went with "Secreto en la montaña" the sourcing would pass unnoticed? Even though Brandt Crocker would probably pronounce "montaña" as "Montana"?

oh man do you remember?...lol now it's the best thing since sliced bread..lol

I kinda liked Star though when I saw them live in Dublin, OH (Columbus, OH). Then I saw Cadets in Massillon a few days later, and that show was great too ( early season before all the watering down of the show music), but I STILL liked the Star Show better. I thought both were pretty dark shows.

I could see how people didn't go for Star's show, but it wasn't Suncoast Sound '88 (Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child - Red and Yellow, Black and White * This is the Way We.. * Wait 'Till Your Father Gets Home * WAR * For Yesterday's Child), Crossmen 1995 (The School for Scandal - Overture * Symphony for Brass and Percussion (mvts II and III) ), Blue Devil's 1991 (Conversations in Jazz - Commencement (from Adventures in Time) * Bird and Bela in B Flat (2nd Movement) * Bird and Bela in B Flat (3rd Movement) ), or even SCV 1995 (Not the Nutcracker - The Clock Breaks (from the Nutcracker) * War of the Nuts * Romance and Seduction (from the Nutcracker) * Celebration (from the Nutcracker) * The Journey Concludes (from the Nutcracker) ).

Those shows were pretty out there for the time shows, ie BIZARRE head scratchers for many.

I thought Star 1993 musical arrangements really made sense, and liked the show design ( didn't they have some Suncoast Sound '88 staff with them???). Then again, I love anything Jim Prime arranges. He's my favorite drum corps arranger ever...

I would love to sit back and listen to Crown play John Rutter's Gloria...or for that matter any Rutter.

No thanks. Crown keeps playing stuff Cavaliers already played. Hands off! lol :tounge2: