Fans jump up in acceptance of electronics.

...and yet here you are.

Wouldn't want you to think silence = acceptance. Fear not, my disdain for indoor drum corps is even greater. I haven't attended since Bloomington 2008. I'm sure you haven't missed me.

Has a corps ever tried a manual pitch bend?

I feel in the minority here but I wasn't that excited about the ending because it didn't rely on brass-playing skills. I understand though, audience reaction should be worth something.

Yes, the Bluecoats did. It was in the end of their opener the last few weeks of the season. Yes, it used their brass-playing skills.

I love drum corps with electronics and narration. The only show that I could say I didn't like was the Colts this year. That was a bit too much. But otherwise, I loved all the narration this year, especially the Cadets and BK

Edited by Cappybara

I was very impressed with Bluecoats show this year. However, I am still not in favor of electronics. Too many corps just don't use them very well. Cadets and Colts with the narration and sound clips this year, was just dreadful. And many corps the use of synthesizers just doesn't fit well with the hornline, or overpowers the hornline. Bluecoats just happened to use them very well. I know of marching bands that have used them well over years, and Bluecoats seemed to take a page out of that book. I know a couple of marching bands have used the pitch bend technique, although never quite as well as Coats this season. But the whole Bluecoats concept this year was amazing, and the electronics fit in very well. Great show, great concept, but I would prefer less electronics across the board. When you have that much talent in your corps, why not let that shine, instead of covering it up with narration and heavy synth? Some themed shows like Coats this year, and Mandarins last year, are kind of cool. But most of the time it is more annoying.

Oh this again.

I like some shows, i dislike some shows. Sometimes i love shows, sometimes i cannot stand them. Usually i find electronics to be distracting, whether it is covering up a poor low brass sound, cheeeezy narration, or wacky and zany sound effects, the fact i notice these things mean i am not paying attention to the corps.

But it is still part of the show, it is still the designer's vision. The activity is dictated by the designers pushing the edge, and it should be. Judges are there to judge, members are there to perform (learn etc.), we are there to enjoy.

With that being said, electronics are a part of the experience, part of the vision, and are increasingly better at blending with the corps. Which is the point. And this year i was more okay with the electronics than other years. Fortunately we have some corps that tend to not use much electronics, some that use more. Its a diverse activity because of the possibilities brought to us by electronics, excessive prop use, and a variety of instrumentation.

End ramble

To my ears, most of the amplification detracts from the show. I liked the 20 seconds of pitch bend, especially the first few times I heard it, but it wore on me a bit, and I would have loved even more to hear what they could have done with their chops instead. I've never heard anyone but a soloist try a pitch bend, but a great brass line like the Coats - they could have done it.

So no, I'm not a fan of amplification. Narration is just a part of it.

If there is any electronics, it should be applied in dribs and drabs, and should never augment or cover the brass sound, but add another voice of counterpoint.

In fact, all brass samples should be banned from DCI, so no one could try to imitate wind instruments, just add other 'instruments' to the mix here and there, more like counterpoint than unison.

And there were definitely a few corps where the screamers were maybe a player or two but it sounded like the whole 1st trumpet section due to synth backing.

I can't deny that it seemed, um, disappointing that people went crazy over an electronic pitch bend, the push of a button, like something amazing was happening that required massive skill. It was effective, yes, and I loved the Coat's show overall but I think this manuever was overrated and perhaps, many didn't realize it was just an electronic trick?

Drum corps shows are a mix of audio and video. That moment in the Coats show is a great example of a perfect mix of the two. They used the available instruments and visual elements to create an exciting moment of drum corps. It is not more a 'trick' to use a synth as intended than it is to use a snare drum, or trumpet, or flag, or...it was just a wonderful moment for the members and audience...IMO

• Like 1

Drum corps shows are a mix of audio and video. That moment in the Coats show is a great example of a perfect mix of the two. They used the available instruments and visual elements to create an exciting moment of drum corps. It is not more a 'trick' to use a synth as intended than it is to use a snare drum, or trumpet, or flag, or...it was just a wonderful moment for the members and audience...IMO

well said IMO..we also dont have to bang a stick on a rock anymore to prove we can entertain or have talent OR that it's drum corps or not.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1