The DCI 990s

Ok, so we believe differently (I'll be sure to watch for your name at the bottom of the financials I read :tounge2: ).

So, it seems to be working (seems, that is, if you can believe the numbers). You could have stopped reading at the first post of the thread and gone away happy that it is, apparently, working.

So, I take it you won't be back, right? Seen enough, right? It's working fine, right? Nothing to see here then. Move along.

(Really, I hope you stick around just to see how WEIRD these DCI numbers really are! [/sarcasm about the numbers] :tounge2: )

What I do, and how it effects you, garfield, are two separate issues. How it effects you is of little concern to me. But, my friend, I enjoy reading you. Please continue. :smile:

A new entry showed up in the 2011 filings where there were none shown in the '09 or '10 filings.

Under the heading of "Independent Contractors", the form asks to "Complete this table for your five highest compensated independent contractors that received more than $100,000 of compensation from the organization..."

In 2011, two contractors were listed for the first time:

DSM Sports Marketing, Inc. of Valrico, FL was paid $127,225 for "Marketing", and

The Art Department, Inc, of Mount Holly, NJ was paid $111,020 for "Marketing"

For 2012: DSM was paid $152,080, and The Art Department was paid $114,020

So, let me bring this back up again as it's where we left off several pages ago.

What I do, and how it effects you, garfield, are two separate issues. How it effects you is of little concern to me. But, my friend, I enjoy reading you. Please continue. :smile:

Umm...OK. Thanks? :huh2:

But just so I'm clear, you did engage me, which does affect me, and how it affects me is of little concern to you. Got it, Fred, and I appreciate your candor.

So, let me bring this back up again as it's where we left off several pages ago.

So, it looks like DSM is an agency that represents some female golfers and DCI run by John DeNovi. (https://twitter.com/DSMsportsmktg) His LinkedIn profile says he used to work for DCI, and it looks like the DCI website lists him as DCI Director of Business Development, at least in an article I found from 2010.

There's less information out there on The Art Department, Inc. but maybe someone can do more digging than I've done in the few minutes I had to search before heading off to sleep.

Honestly, garfield, I really don't care what someone tells me via footnote. I make my own assessment.

The whole point is that if there are footnotes, you probably need them to understand the numbers. If there aren't, the numbers are self-explanatory.

John DeNovi is the guy heading DCI's marketing, and spearheaded Drumline Battle and SoundSport. He also threatens folks if he doesn't like what you have to say. (Oops, said that out loud...)

Isn't the Art Department Bob Jacob's company?

Mike

John DeNovi is the guy heading DCI's marketing, and spearheaded Drumline Battle and SoundSport. He also threatens folks if he doesn't like what you have to say. (Oops, said that out loud...)

Isn't the Art Department Bob Jacob's company?

Mike

yup

You see, garfield . . .

I really don't care what DCI spent at Staples. I really don't care if DCI should have spent the same amount at Office Depot (are they even still in business). I really don't care what DCI spent for envelopes, or printer cartridges. What I care about is, is it all working? My point is, numbers are just numbers. They really don't tell the whole story. The whole story transcends just numbers. Nothing sinister here.

People will speculate with or without the numbers. Having seen the kind of speculation that takes place in the absence of these numbers, my preference is to use this available data.

As an example, people used to speculate that DCI makes no effort at all in marketing, and fails to obtain the help of any professionals in the field. The data just presented refutes those claims. Interestingly, I have not heard those complaints again since the 990s thread went through that last year.

People will speculate with or without the numbers. Having seen the kind of speculation that takes place in the absence of these numbers, my preference is to use this available data.

As an example, people used to speculate that DCI makes no effort at all in marketing, and fails to obtain the help of any professionals in the field. The data just presented refutes those claims. Interestingly, I have not heard those complaints again since the 990s thread went through that last year.

I want to thank you for doing a masterful job of redirecting the discussion to DCI's marketing and away from personal discussions about the people paid for those services. Should DCI be paying for marketing? Is anyone surprised that DCI is paying for marketing? What DCI spends on their marketing, and to whom they pay for these services, is safely presumed to be known by the entirety of the drum corps BOD who, I presume, have influence on how DCI spends its money.

I would also contend that there is likely value in paying marketing people who are actually involved with the activity - I don't know, but that seems intuitive to me to get the best value for the marketing dollar.

Edited by garfield