Best non-winners.....2nd, 3rd, and 4th

These are more emotional reactions, than valid critiques, but I think they hold up...

87 SCV - put this down as good enough to in almost any year, but so App Spring

88 Devils - was too young to appreciate the drama of Madison's win, but Since I Fell for You remains one of my favorite ballads to this day. Add to that that BD was going in undefeated, IIRC.

93 Star - did not want them to win at the time, but I was young, and quickly came to realize what a great show it was, in addition to ground breaking.

08 Devils - as happy as I was for PR that night, the score does say it all. By the skin of their teeth. But would not have had it any other way.

09 Crown - this is a combination of homerism, and me just not getting the GE appeal of 1930. And to this day I can't understand how they could make that rep so boring. IMHO, of course.

12 Crown - For the Common Good was a championship caliber show, but so was Cab Voltaire.

Ummmm don't mean to be the killjoy for most of you wonderful and creative drum corps fanatics....... But the question was best 2nd, 3rd and 4th places! I love how some of you go off on your own tangents and just go into overdrive with answers that have almost no relevance to the question haha

Welcome to DCP...

Ummmm don't mean to be the killjoy for most of you wonderful and creative drum corps fanatics....... But the question was best 2nd, 3rd and 4th places! I love how some of you go off on your own tangents and just go into overdrive with answers that have almost no relevance to the question haha

When you get the DCP bunch to line up according to what the OP is asking....I'll have a bunch of cats standing by for you to herd next! :tounge2:

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 1

As on many other discussion forums, I think it's understood here that the original post is just a suggestion to get conversation started.

Most DCI fanatics will remember their favorite winners, occasionally they will also remember the winners they completely hated (me included). But some shows that stand at the foot of those champions will ultimately engrave their programs into your brain, and leaving many of wondering "how the hell did this show not win?". Can you recall some 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place shows that have bested your hearts and set themselves apart from even the champions that beat them? Please get creative and don't be hypocrites or biased to just one corps.

1975 Hawthorne Muchachos.... for my consideration as another " non winner " Corps.

They were turned in by another DCI Corps after performing in Prelims in '75 for marching an overage member all season long, and then DCI DQ'ed them from competing the next nite at Finals. I suppose ( and personally believe ) that the Madison Scouts would have won the 75 Title the next nite anyway, but nobody really knows for certain. I don't think it would have been a slam dunk anyway for Madison that year. Its certainly within the realm of posssibility that the Muchachos could have bested Madison imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

78 Phantom was robbed!

I have to agree. I always see 79 as the year they were really robbed, but 79 is one of my all time favorite shows, so I'm probably biased. However, it has been suggested before that the weakest champion was 1978 SCV and even Pete Emmons who was an SCV instructor at the time and a cohost of the finals broadcast was surprised they won.

• Like 2

I couldn't disagree with you more... Maybe on percussion and guard but Cavaliers 2004 were much better in GE as well as brass than BD... Heck the drill in Cavaliers 2004 was just phenomenal as well

• Like 1