Levi's Stadium - May not be a great DCI Venue

3 shows during the NFL preseason is right out. 1

1 "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."

RUN AWAYYYY!!!!

• Like 2

And even as a brand new field, it got torn up pretty badly.

I don't understand why anyone would ever install real grass anymore when since the invention FieldTurf.

• Like 1

Then I noticed the field. Looks like natural grass. Then I dropped the whole idea altogether. Grass stadiums handle one show well; three shows in a row with EVERYBODY is sorta overkill.

And this year, Blue Stars especially, Bluecoats to a significant degree, and Cadets, Blue Knights, and Boston Crusaders to a lesser extent, all would have had to have reworked their shows, because DCI doesn't permit tarps to be used on grass fields.

I don't understand why anyone would ever install real grass anymore when since the invention FieldTurf.

Many athletes prefer natural grass, since it is more...well...natural. Grass is "bouncier" and more forgiving than field turf. Easier on the knees over the course of a career. Outdoor artificial turf fields also tend to be hotter (other things being equal).

The grass at Heinz Field (home of the Pittsburgh Steelers) frequently gets torn up as Thanksgiving approaches, due to all the pro, college, and high school games that are played on it. Yet, I've read that the players have actually lobbied to keep the grass. According to wikipedia (yeah, I know...), there apparently have been several studies comparing injury rates on grass versus field turf, with conflicting results. The studies funded by the field turf people apparently found no difference in injury rates, while (ostensibly) "independent" studies found statistically significant increases in some types of injuries on field turf.

• Like 1

Levi's is perfectly set up for transport in though for Finals. SJC is less than 5 minutes south on the 101, SFO is under an hour north. There's a BART station right outside the stadium, and of course it's like than a quarter mile from the 101 for people that want to drive in. There are multiple hotels attached to the convention center next door, and more just across the freeway. Warm-up lots might be a challenge though, unless they use the ones at Great America (not like it's ever that busy anymore)

Many athletes prefer natural grass, since it is more...well...natural. Grass is "bouncier" and more forgiving than field turf. Easier on the knees over the course of a career. Outdoor artificial turf fields also tend to be hotter (other things being equal).

The grass at Heinz Field (home of the Pittsburgh Steelers) frequently gets torn up as Thanksgiving approaches, due to all the pro, college, and high school games that are played on it. Yet, I've read that the players have actually lobbied to keep the grass. According to wikipedia (yeah, I know...), there apparently have been several studies comparing injury rates on grass versus field turf, with conflicting results. The studies funded by the field turf people apparently found no difference in injury rates, while (ostensibly) "independent" studies found statistically significant increases in some types of injuries on field turf.

I think a bigger issue is the damage hosting finals does to a grass surface. 70+ shows over 3 days can leave a natural surface as little more than bare dirt.