Will BD 2014 go down as one of the greats?

No. It won't. There's nothing really special about it except they made the show specifically to cater to the judges.

Lol

As I've said before, we need to wait till the dust settles before we decide 2014 BD is one of the greats. Not all the greats are recognized as such at the time. Of course the top scoring show of all time that had a great following, especially from non BD fans, does make it historical and memorable but not necessarily great. That's my objective opinion. My personal opinion based purely on feelings is that it had that "it" quality, other "its" for me being PR 2008, SCV 89, Madison 88, Crown 2013, Star 1991. However Star in 1991 is a good example of a great not instantly recognized. The crowd favorite was SCV, many believed Cavies had the better show and while George Zingali's drill was praised, it was not wowed by all at the time. My thought is that we had no idea two years later Star would be no more and sadly, it was the last great Zingali drill, both of which made many, including myself, take a second look at Star 1991.

One poster mentioned Bloo being more memorable than BD. In performance that could well have been the case. If you really look at Bloo's show, it was minimalist as compared with Crown, SCV, BD, and Cadets, but it had many intricacies and moments of sheer energy, combined with a corps that sold that show like no other, at least that's what blew me away. How it will record is another matter. What we saw in the movie theater was very different from what people saw in Indy, at least according to DCP posts. Some shows record well. DB 2012 is an example for me. Seeing it up close and personal via DVD gave me an appreciation of the show that I missed seeing it at five times live. Others face challenges. While I hope this is not the case, I think we may be disappointed with Bloo recorded. It was just one of those shows that had to be experienced. However that's a post for reviews of the BluRay DVD when it is issued.

2014 BD had what I consider to be the best brass performance I have ever heard (and yes, I saw '91 Star live). That, plus the record high score, put it among the greats in my book.

• Like 1

I've found myself going back to catch another look at

1. La Strada (for the music)

2. La Strada (for the broken clown and umbrella woman on the runway)

3. A big rifle thrown to YOU and a big rifle thrown to YOU and a big rifle thrown to YOU!

4. Tambourine dance/mad crazy rifle work at the same time.

5. The musical hit after they play to the back then turn around.

6. The entire corps collapsing into a single diagonal...then rotating that sucker perfectly.

7. The snares on the boardroom table. Some real good "Drum Corps, hell yeah!" (Cadets 2000 and the 'playing each other's horns' thing was one of those for me too)

8. The overall showmanship of the entire performance. They knew they were winning that night, but they went out to give us the absolutely best show they could.

I think a lot of those moments will linger with me for a good while.

I agree with all of your points above...but #3 made me LOL.

2014 BD had what I consider to be the best brass performance I have ever heard (and yes, I saw '91 Star live). That, plus the record high score, put it among the greats in my book.

Scores mean nothing from show to show... We've been beaten over the head with this information over the course of the last several weeks. They were just that much more rewarded by the judges over the corps scoring under them. I heard both corps, and I'd pick Star '91 any day, BUT that's just me.

Scores mean nothing from show to show... We've been beaten over the head with this information over the course of the last several weeks. They were just that much more rewarded by the judges over the corps scoring under them. I heard both corps, and I'd pick Star '91 any day, BUT that's just me.

Sure you can't really compare scores from show to show, or year to year, but that doesn't make what they achieved this season any less notable.

Edited by dcsnare93
  • Like 1

We all know the story of this year. Blue Devils sweep the year, setting a record with a 99.65 on finals night. What I want to know is if this show, this year, is memorable enough to be compared with the all time great, classic drum corps shows ????

In my opinion... absolutely.

Yup. It's already one of my favorites ever. There are a lot of shows that I really love, even just from BD (2000!!) but there are always movements or moments that kind of make me drift off. None in 2014.

If I compare it to other "greats," it is going to come out on top almost every time. That gate turn was the bomb diggity.

My only issue is that the camera coverage was all on the guard during the tambourine feature, instead of the amazing work the brass was doing. Talk about exquisite timing from the horn players with the movement. Luckily there's high camera. This was a very, very good show, but I think it's too soon right now to judge it against the all-time greats like Star 93, SCV 89, or Garfield 84

One quick question for the folks around here. Is the tambourine feature judged under guard or percussion? Could be an ingenious way to design a guard feature without it being on the guard sheets.

Sure you can't really compare scores from show to show, or year to year, but that doesn't make what they achieved this season any less notable.

They won! Duly noted!