Line-Up for DCA Prelims?

Yes, you can declare up but not down. And you have to do so pretty early--by Memorial Day, perhaps?

June 1st

EDIT: Bill beat me to it

35 is the cut-off limit.

If I can take a moment to defend Class A:

I know having a 5-corps Class A "field" is kind of a bummer, but it fluctuates every year. Last year there were 11 competing small corps. Year before had 8.

DCA's Class A model has mostly been a success. It encourages corps designers to program within their means and has been stepping stone for several quality groups that made the transition to Open Class (Fusion Core ... need I say more).

*shrug* I guess it comes down to personal preference. I'd rather see a two-tier system where the lower tier corps don't have to over-extend themselves in order to be deemed "competitive." Having one giant field of corps all clawing at each other just doesn't seem as interesting to me.

Of the thirteen corps who have won gold in Class A, six (Skyliners, Atlanta CV, Sunrisers, Alliance, Fusion Core, Carolina Gold) are currently competing in Open Class (do the math... that's 43% of this year's open class)

Add to that the Govies, who have three Class A championships and have only missed finals once since first showing up in 04, and yeah I'd say it's been a success.

Edited by Spandy
  • Like 2

Are people really ########, or merely $@%&*ing?

is there a difference?

i've been searching amazon for a Jeff Ream to english dictionary, but can't seem to locate one. bah! Whats the difference between ##### and ######?

Drumese to English

Drumese to English

well played sir, well played. I rode the drum bus, maybe I'm just rusty in my foreign languages.

• Like 1

we use to draw for prelims spots...and judges still got it close to right.

• Like 1

we use to draw for prelims spots...and judges still got it close to right.

there is no perfect system. and those that say one is better probably #####ed about that system when they competed in it LOL

• Like 2

35 is the cut-off limit. EDIT: See Spandy's response below for more accurate explanation.

If I can take a moment to defend Class A:

I know having a 5-corps Class A "field" is kind of a bummer, but it fluctuates every year. Last year there were 11 competing small corps. Year before had 8.

DCA's Class A model has mostly been a success. It encourages corps designers to program within their means and has been stepping stone for several quality groups that made the transition to Open Class (Fusion Core ... need I say more).

*shrug* I guess it comes down to personal preference. I'd rather see a two-tier system where the lower tier corps don't have to over-extend themselves in order to be deemed "competitive." Having one giant field of corps all clawing at each other just doesn't seem as interesting to me.

Not to mention there have been numerous Open Class groups that came from Class A at one point:

Alliance

Carolina Gold

CV

Fusion Core

Sunrisers

... and most likely more. These groups are all great drum corps that may not have been as successful without this kind of a start.

Not to mention there have been numerous Open Class groups that came from Class A at one point:

Alliance

Carolina Gold

CV

Fusion Core

Sunrisers

... and most likely more. These groups are all great drum corps that may not have been as successful without this kind of a start.

Or... in Sun's case... a re-start. :tongue:

Or... in Sun's case... a re-start. :tongue:

Also Sky ...

:-)

• Like 1

Also Sky ...

:-)

And Carolina Gold bounced around too... even to the Minis for a year or so......