Line-Up for DCA Prelims?

and still apply. And some corps ( aka Govies) never intend to go Open.

I am pretty sure the Govies will never cut people to stay in Class A, So if the membership numbers ever add up to over 65, I think you will see an Open Class Govenaires.

what about if it's one person? forgive me for not knowing the regulation but is 65 the only requirement for A level?

Edited by C.Holland

Hard luck is Kilties not going on with the other open class corps .there in the box with the Class A corps .Think maybe that intermission is a bit misplaced .

Like its really going to have a impact on where they wind up in the grand scheam of things??? Im sure they would be pushing for a finals position and they are so far behind now I really don't see them catching up even if they went on with the rest of the Open class group.

what about if it's one person? forgive me for not knowing the regulation but is 65 the only requirement for A level?

35 is the cut-off limit. EDIT: See Spandy's response below for more accurate explanation.

If I can take a moment to defend Class A:

I know having a 5-corps Class A "field" is kind of a bummer, but it fluctuates every year. Last year there were 11 competing small corps. Year before had 8.

DCA's Class A model has mostly been a success. It encourages corps designers to program within their means and has been stepping stone for several quality groups that made the transition to Open Class (Fusion Core ... need I say more).

*shrug* I guess it comes down to personal preference. I'd rather see a two-tier system where the lower tier corps don't have to over-extend themselves in order to be deemed "competitive." Having one giant field of corps all clawing at each other just doesn't seem as interesting to me.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar
  • Like 4

35 members (not including Drum Majors and Honor Guard) is the minimum for any DCA corps to compete. If you have fewer than 65 you have the option to declare Class A (but not everyone does).

That's the only difference between A and Open.

Edited by Spandy

ahhh ok. thanks for the clarification. So if you don't have 65, you can still declare Open class?

Ah, OK. Thanks for the clarification. So if you don't have 65, you can still declare Open Class?

Yes, you can declare up but not down. And you have to do so pretty early--by Memorial Day, perhaps?

• Like 1

ahhh ok. Does that mean that once you go up, you cannot go back ever? (not during a season, but say you move up for a season, can't post a decent score so you go back the next season?)

ahhh ok. Does that mean that once you go up, you cannot go back ever? (not during a season, but say you move up for a season, can't post a decent score so you go back the next season?)

Sure - You can switch season to season, just not within a season once you've declared.