Line-Up for DCA Prelims?

And Carolina Gold bounced around too... even to the Minis for a year or so......

True.

Class A has been a good thing for Sun, Sky, and Gold. Among others.

I think the 35 member low limit is a relatively new thing (last 10 years or so ). I do not know when the 35 member threshold has to be met. I think a few corps this year had trouble meeting that # in June (Shenandoah Sound, Chops maybe from look of their video, Thunder Brigade had planned on Class A but didn't have the number). I think mini Corps in a way fills the gap for smaller units but I think the # cutoff there is 25, So if you are a 32 member corps you are SOL.

I think the 35 member low limit is a relatively new thing (last 10 years or so ). I do not know when the 35 member threshold has to be met. I think a few corps this year had trouble meeting that # in June (Shenandoah Sound, Chops maybe from look of their video, Thunder Brigade had planned on Class A but didn't have the number). I think mini Corps in a way fills the gap for smaller units but I think the # cutoff there is 25, So if you are a 32 member corps you are SOL.

They can always do SoundSport.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

the problem is fans told hosts they didn't want to see corps that small

My understanding is the 35 member has to be met at each show. Have done a head count a few times over the years during performances and came up with exactly 35. And some of those 35 were in the pit with this "when do I hit the triangle?" look in their eyes. Always wanted to see those people back at the corps bus..... to see if they were driving. :tounge2:

I wasn't too happy with having to have at least 35 members either. Until a show sponsor said he got complaints that paying fans felt cheated that there were such some corps at the show. Hard on the small corps but there was a chance that shows would lose customers unless something was done.

• Like 1

True.

Class A has been a good thing for Sun, Sky, and Gold. Among others.

Class A has been good for DCA period. Without it, DCA would be in a 1993 situation...13 or so corps.

It's not easy to run a corps these days, and of course for those from outside of the NE area, it's not cheap. I know people will complain about the 35 member rule ( cue the Samba), but if you can't get 35 people to commit to your corps, you have issues, and it's not the rulebooks fault.

before that rule came into place, honestly, there was some god awful #### on the field at prelims and local shows. it turned people off

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2

I can relate to both Jeff and Jim-F's points, I went to prelim a while back and had a friend who had not seen a show for several year. One of the early corps had 3 people in the color guard who just kinda wandered around the back of the corp. Sometimes carrying a flag with no direction. Unfortunately me and her both noticed these three and it really took away from the performance of the other 32 people who had practiced and worked hard to put on a show. I guess they got to perform. My friend's first comment to me that afternoon (or morning) was "I could have just gotten out of the stands and done better than some of them". Fortunately it was only one corps and my friend finished the night with a better impression than her first. To be honest that corps may have had a good show, but their last minute adds really hurt them.

I know people will complain about the 35 member rule ( cue the Samba), but if you can't get 35 people to commit to your corps, you have issues, and it's not the rulebooks fault.

before that rule came into place, honestly, there was some god awful #### on the field at prelims and local shows. it turned people off

I hope Gary is ready to go if we need him!!!! :tongue:

I hope Gary is ready to go if we need him!!!! :tongue:

I can relate to both Jeff and Jim-F's points, I went to prelim a while back and had a friend who had not seen a show for several year. One of the early corps had 3 people in the color guard who just kinda wandered around the back of the corp. Sometimes carrying a flag with no direction. Unfortunately me and her both noticed these three and it really took away from the performance of the other 32 people who had practiced and worked hard to put on a show. I guess they got to perform. My friend's first comment to me that afternoon (or morning) was "I could have just gotten out of the stands and done better than some of them". Fortunately it was only one corps and my friend finished the night with a better impression than her first. To be honest that corps may have had a good show, but their last minute adds really hurt them.

you right about the lack of effect the art form has. it goes back an A-corps I reviewed that had 11 horns on the field, and one standing on the sideline. with 12 horns, geometric drill becomes way easier to script.