MADISON SCOUTS 2015

Here's my thing. I marched in the late 90's and have watched my beloved corps go through not making finals, director/staff changes, financial issues, design issues, and through it all I support them. Even when I was told rehearsals were closed but still send money. I will forever publicly support my corps, and I will take my concerns to those that have the ability to change things privately. That's the way I operate.

Why? Simple, each time I have done this I have felt and seen in some ways, my concerns heard.

Why won't I criticize them publicly, simple, I don't want my younger brothers to see that kind of ####.

Will some argue that the younger guys should grow thicker skin, just ignore it, but I just don't think they need ######## negativity as they're working their ##### off on tour.

Especially when they have a great product this year that will only get better.

Just my way of doing things.

• Like 1

Again, I love the Scouts & root for them. The lessons learned from the Scouts organization, the Brothers, & Scott Stewart have & will stay with me for the rest of my life. The reason the corp has gone through numerous regime & staff changes is to improve the product & finals placement, but neither has happened, which is disappointing & frustrating. Based on all scores, right now the Scouts are in a fight just to make finals. I hope they find whatever it is that they are lacking because the activity needs the Scouts & drum corp is better when the Scouts are in finals, and even better when the Scouts are competitive. I hope the Boys surge after the mid season changes are implemented.

• Like 3

Again, I love the Scouts & root for them. The lessons learned from the Scouts organization, the Brothers, & Scott Stewart have & will stay with me for the rest of my life. The reason the corp has gone through numerous regime & staff changes is to improve the product & finals placement, but neither has happened, which is disappointing & frustrating. Based on all scores, right now the Scouts are in a fight just to make finals. I hope they find whatever it is that they are lacking because the activity needs the Scouts & drum corp is better when the Scouts are in finals, and even better when the Scouts are competitive. I hope the Boys surge after the mid season changes are implemented.

Great post, realistic yet heart felt Flam, Im very impressed. classy

Madison operates on a budget of about 900k/yr. To make top 6 you need to be up around 1.5M. BD and SCV have huge bingo operations (gross ~ 12M/yr, net ???). Cadets have YEA!. Pretty much guarantees a stranglehold on the top spots.

DCI = Direct Correlation w/ Income

Madison operates on a budget of about 900k/yr. To make top 6 you need to be up around 1.5M. BD and SCV have huge bingo operations (gross ~ 12M/yr, net ???). Cadets have YEA!. Pretty much guarantees a stranglehold on the top spots.

DCI = Direct Correlation w/ Income

Well then, based on your post the path to competitive success is clear. Will it be followed or not?

I just want to point out that, between 1973-2000, Scouts were top five 15 times. So, about half the time, and pretty wells spread out over those 27 years. One could argue that they haven't truly been championship contenders since 1988. Were 1996 and 1999 both failures because they weren't catching a whiff of a championship?

They're already exploiting every revenue source. They get about 150k/yr from alumni and have a big merchandising operation. They even have a beer and brats concession at Brewer's home games.

If you have any ideas on how they can pick up an easy 600k/yr, give 'em a call. Heck, give ME a call. I can use the extra juice.

There is simply no revenue source available to the other corps that can compete with a 7 figure gambling op. Until DCI institutes some kind of spending cap (excluding travel costs of course), the field will always be tilted to the west.

As for the economics and legality of bingo, I'm not an expert. My guess is that it's a bit dicey for a non-profit to be running such an operation. SCV and BD have been doing it since the 70's, but I think they have come under pressure lately. Starting such an operation in the midwest would probably be cost prohibitive even if legal. You need a facility and you need licensing.

Well then, based on your post the path to competitive success is clear. Will it be followed or not?

Interesting........ when Muncie was moved indoors, you could have used a brass judge, a percussion judge, and a music effect judge and scored the show accurately. All three elements would have contributed to a total score.

With panels varying in size and make up, that accuracy is biased towards or away from each judge's expertise.

The level at which these corps are performing demands an expert looking at each caption...... otherwise some judges would be as effective as having a penalty judge.