MADISON SCOUTS 2015

As a full-time professional artist, I call b.s. on the above assertion that Munch's "The Scream" has more depth than

the bowl of fruit. You are comparing 2 entirely different styles and intents. The bowl of fruit is a purely representational

painting and "The Scream" is an expressionist painting. Anyone who claims that one style is inherently better or more

sophisticated than another, is literally comparing apples and oranges. And it's sad that there seems to be a trend in this

activity that certain styles are frowned upon. I know, it's the sheets....the top corps are simply playing to the sheets. Well,

if we are going to call this activity an art form, then the sheets need to encourage all ranges of styles and expressions.

If not, then ultimately, everything becomes homogenized and we drift toward a form of "group think".

Anyway, my overall point is, the bowl of fruit should be able to win as much as "The Scream" if it is performed

well enough. If not, then we have a lot of conformity going on. Do we want that?

Thats what many do. They dont know the difference ., but will go to the death claiming they do.

I do think you are quite right though.

Great work by the way!

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Are you saying the musical book is simple when you say simplistic orchestration? And when you say lack of depth do you mean there needs to be much more things happening in the show visually? Please explain.

By simple orchestration I mean the show uses the same basic chords in the same basic keys. There is little layering and environmental demand to bump up the difficulty, and what they do play is all the same thing in different contexts. To my ears, at least. This was a common topic on DCP back in 2012, when Crown had a killer brass line that basically only played variations on Bb major chords, whereas Blue Devils, with maybe a technically inferior group, went all over as far as key, as far as what types of complex chords they were playing, and all that. To try and rescue this failed art analogy, Scouts show is one very pleasing shade of yellow. I want some blues and greens and oranges and reds. It has nothing to do with whether the show is happy or sad or dark or whatever, it all is related to how they choose to express their theme. And right now they're doing so very blandly for my taste.

As far as depth, I mean the show is visually bland and not terribly demanding. More could be going on, for sure. The best measure of depth, to me, is how many times I can watch a show and see or hear something new. After seeing Scouts live three times now, I feel like I don't need to hear it again. That isn't the case for groups in their tier right now - Phantom, Blue Stars, Crossmen, etc. I feel like I've gotten all the show has to offer after just a few listens.

I don't mean to be taking shots at the kids - they're performing the crap out of this show. I just have a feeling we're in for another season of Scouts being Top 8-ish early season, then getting passed by more difficult and complex shows by Atlanta to end up barely Top 10, if that. I wouldn't be surprised if this show fell out of Finals. And that's not on the members, that's on the staff for not sufficiently challenging the members.

There also is something to the critique that an organization which doesn't accept women using cardboard cutouts of women in dresses in their show needs to move into the 21st century. Not saying they have to let women into the corps, but the optics are not good.

Just my opinion. Take it for what little it's worth.

Edited by Phan_of_Drumming

By simple orchestration I mean the show uses the same basic chords in the same basic keys. There is little layering and environmental demand to bump up the difficulty, and what they do play is all the same thing in different contexts. To my ears, at least. This was a common topic on DCP back in 2012, when Crown had a killer brass line that basically only played variations on Bb major chords, whereas Blue Devils, with maybe a technically inferior group, went all over as far as key, as far as what types of complex chords they were playing, and all that. To try and rescue this failed art analogy, Scouts show is one very pleasing shade of yellow. I want some blues and greens and oranges and reds.

As far as depth, I mean the show is visually bland and not terribly demanding. More could be going on, for sure. The best measure of depth, to me, is how many times I can watch a show and see or hear something new. After seeing Scouts live three times now, I feel like I don't need to hear it again. That isn't the case for groups in their tier right now - Phantom, Blue Stars, Crossmen, etc.

I don't mean to be taking shots at the kids - they're performing the crap out of this show. I just have a feeling we're in for another season of Scouts being Top 8-ish early season, then getting passed by more difficult and complex shows by Atlanta to end up barely Top 10, if that. I wouldn't be surprised if this show fell out of Finals. And that's not on the members, that's on the staff for not sufficiently challenging the members.

Just my opinion. Take it for what little it's worth.

Perhaps the word you're looking for is "vanilla." Atleast, that's how I would describe this show. It's a good show, nothing really bad about it, but it's plain.

Perhaps the word you're looking for is "vanilla." Atleast, that's how I would describe this show. It's a good show, nothing really bad about it, but it's plain.

Agreed completely. It's a very well done, tasty vanilla, which is...fine. But I love me some moose tracks or rocky road. Make it interesting for me, is what I'm asking.

Interesting how some on the prediction thread has Madison placing 12th or not making finals at all. The reason being that the show is "boring and too old school in design." I wander am I and the majority of scout alums and fans missing something here? I think that yes, musically and thematically it is a throwback show to the 50s era. But, that is just the theme of the show. In this age of drum corps does s corps need to have a dark, avant guard type of show with heavy electronics for the bulk of today's drum corps fans to appreciate the show? If this is the case I am sure the staff can go there if need be. But, it is disappointing at minimum and alarming at best if this is the case of where the average drum corps fan and the activity has gone. If it is the case honestly in my opinion the activity will not be able to sustain itself for another decade with only about 6 or 7 corps standing.

You did ask.

• Like 1

Yes, I did ask. And, although I do not completely agree with his subjective assessment, I do appreciate his opinion, as we all do have them.

Edited by Madcityscout
  • Like 1

Love it or hate it....chocolate or vanilla....it sure does empty some seats. The energy just keeps increasing.

• Like 3

After first viewing I didn't think this show was vanilla at all. This is exactly the kind of show I love to see from Scouts. High energy, great music, LOUD hornline. The only thing I didn't love about this show was the voice, but I'm not a fan of that in general. Drumline is rocking with some great writing. THANK YOU for bringing back those uniforms!

• Like 4