MADISON SCOUTS 2015

In my completetly biased opinion, Madison has a better product than both Cavies & Phantom. I love this corp & show and hope they can catch both for 7th place. So far it appears that getting rid of the previous regime was the right thing to do & I hope the Scouts can continue to build on this season.

I think we agree on something!!!!

The point being, the more talent in the group, the less of that needs to be done. It speaks to the talent of the individuals more than anything.

You realize individuals in professional orchestras take lessons and have individual attention given to their musical enhancement, so I'll keep my opinion because at all levels of anything individual work is always crucial.

Adolph Herseth who was principle trumpet with the Chicago Symphony for 54 years sought help, took lessons, and looked for critique as an individual more in his later years than his early ones to stay ahead. And he had more talent than any of the rest of us could dream of, so I'll keep thinking what this staff is doing is a great way.

Plus, it's working. I'm sure you'd agree with your frequent viewings of their progress this season.

It was also a good method when I marched.

• Like 2

I think we agree on something!!!!

I feel like all the aforementioned horn lines are different but pretty equal this year. I love

Madison's classic thick powerful sound, Phantom's big dark chocolaty sound, and Cavaliers' bright textured sound

that they've had since the early 2000s.

In my opinion, where Madison would need to shine is in Guard and Visual/GE since those are the

heavier captions. Not sure they'll be able to do it against Phantom and Cavaliers, but it's so awesome

that it's within reach this year! Visual is such a big leap and so is the Guard...and not just with their

technical proficiency...it's their confidence, their showmanship....the smart color choices on the costumes

and silks....not to mention all the thematic nuances that run through the entire program!

It feels like these things have been a bit of an afterthought for so many years, but now they are putting

real thought and attention to all the details! This has become such a beautiful show and you can

tell the members are digging it too!

• Like 1

You realize individuals in professional orchestras take lessons and have individual attention given to their musical enhancement, so I'll keep my opinion because at all levels of anything individual work is always crucial.

Adolph Herseth who was principle trumpet with the Chicago Symphony for 54 years sought help, took lessons, and looked for critique as an individual more in his later years than his early ones to stay ahead. And he had more talent than any of the rest of us could dream of, so I'll keep thinking what this staff is doing is a great way.

Plus, it's working. I'm sure you'd agree with your frequent viewings of their progress this season.

It was also a good method when I marched.

None of that is relevant to what I said. This is a 2 month activity. There just isn't a lot of time to do individual instruction in an ENSEMBLE setting, which was my point. Sections, yes. Individuals, not as much.

I would like a truly unbiased question to be answered for me. How can a corps that does not have all of it's members on the field, nor all of its props, still score higher than a surging corps that has a great program with a full corps on the field? And please enough of the other corps has greater content nonsense! Please give me a real rational explanation. Is it an issue of cleaning the drill, more difficult book, etc.? I am trying to stay away from the typical it's political/G7 theories. I really want to know honest opinions.

Well, having more content IS a more difficult book, so I don't know what to say if you're calling one of two things that are the same nonesense, yet give it as a possible explanation.

I love both corps, so it's not a slam on Scouts, but maybe the judges feel that the Cavaliers are doing what they are doing with what they have better than Madison is doing with what they have. Seems that could mean that when Cavaliers get back to full strength, they be further ahead. Could also mean that Madison will surge to 6th place and shock DCI.

This is the same sort of argument for those situations in the beginning of the season where a corps comes out with incomplete drill and show and ten points some other corps.

I only asked that because I only feel there are a certain group of people that could say the Cavaliers have enormous brass problems and sound the way they do.

Also to be clear, I'm not saying that the Cavaliers are world beaters in Brass, but that I do like their sound this year.

Looks like a bunch of fanboy posts to me. tesmusic likes to bash the Cavaliers for some reason.

Some years I like Madison shows, but not as much lately. I was excited when they started using the Van Doren brass approach ( Cadets/Star/Crown). Do they still do that?

If so, it's a very different approach to other corps and I would expect people who love that approach to say ewwww about Cavaliers, Blue Devils, and other corps.

• Like 1

In my completely biased opinion, Madison has a better product than both Cavies & Phantom. I love this corp & show and hope they can catch both for 7th place. So far it appears that getting rid of the previous regime was the right thing to do & I hope the Scouts can continue to build on this season.

In my opinion, Madison product pales in comparison to what it could have been, both thematically and relative to other shows they've done previously. It's "almost" a bit of everything that was great in their past, but someone picked music that wasn't quite as good. That design team can do a LOT better, and hopefully they will. They're great designers.

In my opinion, Cavies have dropped the ball this year design-wise; they've taken a step back visually. Brass-wise, they're better than they have been recently. Percussion and guard aren't doing as well as they have recently. I'm wondering if different program coordination would help them. They certainly change about every other position in the last decade...

In my opinion, Phantom took a bit of a safe route this year with their theme. Percussion isn't standing out. Guard is nice. Brass sounds good. The whole show is pleasant, but nothing intense. Competent performance, but I'm not sold on the arrangements. This is another case of a corps redoing stuff that they've done before, but this time the arrangements don't compare to those old Wren arrangements.

I feel that all three of these corps should have been given a better product, but Madison has better future potential.

If things remain constant at Phantom, they'll stay around where they are...

Cavaliers need to do something, but they are clearly designing for higher placement that Madison.

• Like 2

Looks like a bunch of fanboy posts to me. tesmusic likes to bash the Cavaliers for some reason.

no, just making observations and offering opinions based on education and performance/teaching experience, but good for you for continuing to make references to me about the Cavaliers.

Anyway, can't wait to see the corps tomorrow night!