MADISON SCOUTS 2015

Fairytales do arguably fall into the areas of the supernatural.

I don't think there can be any argument about it. Whether you think they are stories about fairies, or stories set in Faërie, the very name makes it clear that their subject is supernatural.

I think that a theme that is catchy tunes and iconic visages of old cinema needs quite a bit of depth. I want to see Madison do something powerful again like a Spanish theme? Maybe something like 97's closer? Easily my favorite Scouts moment.

• Like 2

I think that a theme that is catchy tunes and iconic visages of old cinema needs quite a bit of depth. I want to see Madison do something powerful again like a Spanish theme? Maybe something like 97's closer? Easily my favorite Scouts moment.

More specifically, something Cuban. There's some fantastic contemporary Cuban big band music out there.

• Like 1

As an educator, I'd rather see this type of individual attention, regardless of talent, at this point in the season.

If they're narrowing things down that far, it's better for the individual and the ensemble to not let those things slide.

BD spends this type of time individually as well, and works out fine for them.

The point being, the more talent in the group, the less of that needs to be done. It speaks to the talent of the individuals more than anything.

So, if we're going to get all hung up on classifications, I can really help you talk in circles. I work in a high school library that started shelving books by genre: Adventure, Fantasy, General Fiction, Historical Fiction, Horror, Romance, Science Fiction, Supernatural, and Sports. For popularity, you want your book in Horror or Fantasy. It's the kiss of death to be in Historical Fiction, and it would appear that the people who love sports rarely read fiction about them (the non-fiction sports books circulate a bit more). There are certain people who like the romance and science fiction, and general fiction does generally well.

This means dark and fantastical sell teens. I love Madison's show. I also prefer General Fiction and Historical Fiction, and I'd put Madison's them in between them, although it's above my pay grade to make these calls. It would drive me nuts. We all know Twilight was a love story, but since werewolves and vampires want to hurt you, it's horror.....

I only asked that because I only feel there are a certain group of people that could say the Cavaliers have enormous brass problems and sound the way they do.

Also to be clear, I'm not saying that the Cavaliers are world beaters in Brass, but that I do like their sound this year.

So, having ears doesn't qualify someone to know if their brass has issues? Didn't realize you had to be on staff to hold that opinion. Thanks for clearing that up.

So, having ears doesn't qualify someone to know if their brass has issues? Didn't realize you had to be on staff to hold that opinion. Thanks for clearing that up.

It depends on if those ears are listening to the shows live or on video.

Unfortunately, being clean has nothing to do with winning in DCi anymore

I like your avatar!

Well, we all have our opinions, and I highly disagree. They have major brass issues that don't appear to be reflected on the sheets, but you keep going.

You can believe all you want that Madison has a superior hornline to Cavies but it's clear the judges don't think so and I'm a lot more inclined to believe the judges than a random DCP poster.

Do I like Cavies' brass sound? No, I hate it. I can't stand most of their shows because of their brass (2014 Cavies is probably one of the few Cavies shows I've ever enjoyed). But that doesn't mean that they have a bad hornline. You may hear more depth with Madison's brass and perhaps more volume too, but that doesn't mean they have the better hornline in any way whatsoever. The Cavies take a very different approach to brass writing than everyone else, giving their sound more texture but less depth. A lot of people don't like it, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

But then again, this is DCP where judging conspiracies run rampant. Carry on.

In my completetly biased opinion, Madison has a better product than both Cavies & Phantom. I love this corp & show and hope they can catch both for 7th place. So far it appears that getting rid of the previous regime was the right thing to do & I hope the Scouts can continue to build on this season.

• Like 3