MADISON SCOUTS 2015

I have to admit that I never really gave much thought as to HOW Cadets are able to release as much info as early as they do until something was mentioned here on DCP. Is it because they often are selecting music that is in the public domain?

Of course, none of Shostakovitch's works are public domain. Nor were any of the Copland works last season, or the Barber the season before.

Edited by Eleran

Of course, none of Shostakovitch's works are public domain. Nor were any of the Copland works last season, or the Barber the season before.

No, but as with any law, copyright has many levels to it, depending upon the artist, composer, individual selection, etc.

You listed 3 composers who you have to contact Boosey and Hawkes to obtain permission for. Boosey and Hawkes can generally give you an answer in as short as 6 weeks and as many as several months. Getting rights for all music is not as simple as naming a few composers from the same holding source, not when you consider that many corps now use music that may have been published and copyrighted in different countries, through different companies, etc.

Just wondering here:

As Quad mentions the non-public domain and Cadets' announcements, I notice that in non-public domain programs the specifics in those announcement seem not as full, in fact generic.

I am wondering if Hopkins floats an idea to see what reaction (think legal restrictions) might get an early problem; this gives enough time to get rid of red herrings. However, the gaps on the DCI releases reveal that some things (WSS, for instance) still had legal problems.

You are absolutely spot on. He may look at it from a release early, see what the response is, and then make changes if need be. Others, as seems to be the case more often, wait until they have things more concrete in the legal department, and still others wait until the complete unveiling is set.

No, but as with any law, copyright has many levels to it, depending upon the artist, composer, individual selection, etc.

You listed 3 composers who you have to contact Boosey and Hawkes to obtain permission for. Boosey and Hawkes can generally give you an answer in as short as 6 weeks and as many as several months. Getting rights for all music is not as simple as naming a few composers from the same holding source, not when you consider that many corps now use music that may have been published and copyrighted in different countries, through different companies,

Who said it was simple? I was merely responding to a post that seemed to be implying that the Cadets have used a lot of public domain works, which thereby allows them to publicize early on. I don't believe that is an accurate statement of facts, since so few of their music has in fact been within the public domain.

Who said it was simple? I was merely responding to a post that seemed to be implying that the Cadets have used a lot of public domain works, which thereby allows them to publicize early on. I don't believe that is an accurate statement of facts, since so few of their music has in fact been within the public domain.

I was making the point that the composers you listed are EASIER to get rights to than other music.

As for the other music they use that is not public domain, I agree with earlier posts that say Hopkins may be testing the waters.

That was my point.

Does testing the waters really make sense, though? As if they can skate by if no publisher's legal team is watching?

If I am correct, each corps' program has to be submitted to DCI, along with proof that all licenses are in place, in order to compete. They require that even for SoundSport corps.

Does testing the waters really make sense, though? As if they can skate by if no publisher's legal team is watching?

If I am correct, each corps' program has to be submitted to DCI, along with proof that all licenses are in place, in order to compete. They require that even for SoundSport corps.

I don't believe testing the waters works, but I also could see why some might want to.

You are correct that each corps has to show proof of clearance for rights, as well as the corps' program, but I believe that is a pretty wide window of time.

Easy there, Sparky.

I merely wondered aloud if this in fact was the case. Forgive me for not being up on my copyright status of music from dead white guys (as Hop puts it) - but thank you oh so much for enlightening me on the matter.

That being said - thank you to the others that have contributed positively to the discussion.

Edited by Quad Aces

Easy there, Sparky.

I merely wondered aloud if this in fact was the case. Forgive me for not being up on my copyright status of music from dead white guys (as Hop puts it) - but thank you oh so much for enlightening me on the matter.

That being said - thank you to the others that have contributed positively to the discussion.

Sorry if my post came out snarky - just that a lot of folks seem to think "dead white guys", as you call them, are public domain because they're old/dead/irrelevant/"clasical music"/etc., and only the new, hip, cool songs present copyright issues. Most likely, I will not live to see the day that Shostakovich's 10th enters the public domain (in about another 33 years)

Sorry if my post came out snarky - just that a lot of folks seem to think "dead white guys", as you call them, are public domain because they're old/dead/irrelevant/"clasical music"/etc., and only the new, hip, cool songs present copyright issues. Most likely, I will not live to see the day that Shostakovich's 10th enters the public domain (in about another 33 years)

No worries, all in the spirit of interesting discussion - i appreciate the apology.

I also appreciate the info on the subject. I do have to admit that I fell victim to what you mention above. I just assumed that some of what Cadets play is public domain because it is "old".

Well, at least I was pretty confident Jingle Bells was public domain :)

Edited by Quad Aces