MADISON SCOUTS 2015

Based on what I have seen, experienced, and heard since I have been following the activity (1985 - present), I would like to respectfully disagree.

Do the armchair critiques affect a corps other than possibly bruising their ego?

depends on who is listening. IMO If a fan doesnt stay a fan based on anything but a love for the corps then were they a fan at all or a fickle individual who feels they are entitled to know every in and out of a corps before announced instead of a performance for the price of a t shirt or ticket. i guess we might or could answer differently. JMO

So you all are saying Crown, Santa Clara, BD are losing fans because they have not made a show announcement either.

No. What I am saying is that if a corps year after year after year does not engage their fans in the offseason by going dark (i.e. zero, zilch, nada) between the middle of August and the middle of June while other corps regularly engage their fans year-round, a fan may start to wonder why they are supporting such a corps - and take their allegiance and financial support elsewhere.

depends on who is listening. IMO If a fan doesnt stay a fan based on anything but a love for the corps then were they a fan at all or a fickle individual who feels they are entitled to know every in and out of a corps before announced instead of a performance for the price of a t shirt or ticket. i guess we might or could answer differently. JMO

IMHO, it's not a matter of being a fickle fan (or feeling entitled to know every morsel of info instantly), it's more a sign of appreciating that some corps let you in and want to keep your attention for as long as possible throughout the year. When an activity that you love only takes place two out of the twelve months of the year, the offseason can be really long for the fans - some corps get that and make mitigating that a priority, and some corps have their own reasons for not making it a priority. Different strokes and all that.

Again - all the above IMHO.

IMHO, it's not a matter of being a fickle fan (or feeling entitled to know every morsel of info instantly), it's more a sign of appreciating that some corps let you in and want to keep your attention for as long as possible throughout the year. When an activity that you love only takes place two out of the twelve months of the year, the offseason can be really long for the fans - some corps get that and make mitigating that a priority, and some corps have their own reasons for not making it a priority. Different strokes and all that.

Again - all the above IMHO.

I get ya and respect your opinion on this. Like I said it is nice when a corps chooses to announce something or keep fans going a bit during off time but for many reasons I can see when they choose not to.jmo

I do remember a time though ( before internet ) when we never knew what was going on and it was kind of exciting to see what a corps was doing at the 1st shows. BUT then again there were many local shows then to go to. Different times for sure.

Edited by GUARDLING

I don't think corps who choose not to release show info early lose fans but I think corps that do engage fans throughout the off season do gain some favorable exposure and perhaps, if the tidbits are good, some new fans..

• Like 1

Maybe it's just like Chris Komnick said; that they are waiting for copy rites to clear and to find an appropriate

title for the show before they announce the 2015 program.

• Like 2

Maybe it's just like Chris Komnick said; that they are waiting for copy rites to clear and to find an appropriate

Well you can't argue with Due Diligience. I can't and I wont.

Yup.

Yes, this I can understand.

I have to admit that I never really gave much thought as to HOW Cadets are able to release as much info as early as they do until something was mentioned here on DCP. Is it because they often are selecting music that is in the public domain?

Legitimate question: what about the years that Cadets are using music not in the public domain - how are they announcing and disseminating as much info as they do if they have to wait for copyrights to clear just like everyone else?

Edited by Quad Aces

Just wondering here:

As Quad mentions the non-public domain and Cadets' announcements, I notice that in non-public domain programs the specifics in those announcement seem not as full, in fact generic.

I am wondering if Hopkins floats an idea to see what reaction (think legal restrictions) might get an early problem; this gives enough time to get rid of red herrings. However, the gaps on the DCI releases reveal that some things (WSS, for instance) still had legal problems.