Our future visual programs: consequences and concerns

So obviously the off-season is in full swing, and we have nothing better to discuss?!?!?!

• Like 2

Brasso:

You could not be more wrong if you tried.

So the insurance rates will be going up for the Corps ? ( I said they would not... and cited the reasons why ). YOU could not be more wrong on this, for the simple reason that you don't know how insurance works between these Corps and their Carriers, coupled with Waivers signed between MM's and Corps.

Edited by BRASSO

So, Perc, re: "I don't think there have been enough egregious injuries..."

How many are too many?

One of the challenges that modern designers face as the major shows are now in larger-than-life facilities like GeorgiaDome, LOS, Giants Stadium, etc. is that the effects must be greater to make an impact. My question is basically, at what (human) cost?

Ha, I knew that would be the quick response.

The answer is "I don't know," but I do know we haven't come even remotely close from directors, staffers, designers, members or members' parents that I've talked to over the last few years. Meaning, random DCP alarm does not equal a serious concern in the activity, and those actually part of the activity from all sides are seemingly not that concerned

I reserve the right to regulate the hobbies, sports, and daily activities of the OP dependent on my evaluation of the risks of his hobbies, sports, activities to himself and his family. He has no inherent right to determine the risks and benefits of these things to himself.

I intend to be both King and Bishop soon of this Feifdom, and straighten everthing out under my personal Manifest Destiny.

Edited by BRASSO

I agree that there is some hyperbole going on here and I think drum corps staffs do an overall excellent job of training and taking care of their performers when it comes to getting them into proper physical shape to do what they're being asked to do. But at the same time I do think there is a point to be made about designing more and more dangerous elements into a show.

You're 100% correct, and I think for the most part designers, directors, and Caption Heads DO constantly take safety into concern (which is why, for example, we didn't see trombone players running around the field visually very often, and instead saw them used as featured soloists or soli on or near the sideline). Without knowing the exact cause for injuries mentioned in the OP, it is impossible to speculate on what corps could've/should've done to be more preventative. I think for the most part designers do a great job taking member safety into account when designing crazy stuff, and it's to their credit that we are marveling at the danger of what they've done (when in fact the trampoline stuff, for example, could've been INSANE had Crown not been 100% committed to member safety)

In an athletic event of any nature, injury is a possibility. This isn't any different than gymnastics, ballet, track and field...etc etc etc. You don't go into this without prior knowledge that you could be injured. Knees, backs, wrists, etc do get injured every summer, and the members are cared for by the staff and local hospitals pretty well. I'm certain most, if not all corps by this point in time, have a medical professional on staff. (registered RN, LPN, or sports medical professional/trainer) The reason stuff is rehearsed over and over and over, is to eliminate the possibility of these accidents and to see if they will work and if they don't work, they don't perform them. But accidents happen. I got clocked several times by a rifle or flag. Stuff happens. And honestly drill design is getting to the point where there's nothing new anymore. Just revisited and variated.

Trust me when I say this as a former staff member, Injury possibility is always accounted for by a design staff.

Exactly; I've seen concussions, teeth getting knocked out, etc. from missed rifle tosses!

And thank you for reiterating safety concerns being accounted for by a design staff.

I think as important of a consideration would be appropriate recovery and care for the injury sustained. If the injury is considered and accounted for, as some have written, is the same consideration given to the care and necessary recovery of that injury? The young men and women I have talked to (for the most part) ignore this aspect because they have to get back to drill and not have a hole for the next show. Put a brace on whatever hurts, swallow a handful of Ranger candy and put ice on it later. The activity, as it exists, rarely allows for the proper care and recovery of injury, as opposed to most organized athletics.

Just my observations.

• Like 2

I think Daave you just made a point I think every DCI director, caption head, and section seargent needs to read. Often with the length of the season, many don't want a hole for a show, let alone a week. And many MMs tough it out. Some sit a show, maybe two, but that's not the culture unfortunately. If you have two holes that's even worse. So I'm certain there needs to be more attentiveness to the everyday bodily issues and more recovery time. I was the same way. "Ill be ok" probably should be "Ice and 48 hours off it"

• Like 1

Yes, there is the history of accidents, mistakes and the unexpected. Ask drum judge Charlie Poole about the mis-tossed sabre that sent him to the hospital several seasons back.

But my point is, modern visual demand is stretching vulnerability. When is too much? How far is appropriate?

Is it right to write danger into the show???

(human pyramid such as Cavalier's continental divide mountain is another example.)

Do we keep pushing the limits until someone dies before us (and I don't mean in Phantom's show, necessarily.)

I've wondered this as well. here's to hoping it doesn't take another serious injury to reign things in a bit