Favorite "Pre-Show"

I liked the " pre shows " where all the judges for the shows were made to come out to the field, stand at attention, facing the audience, then be introduced to the audience by the show announcer by name. The judge would then step forward, take their cap off if they had one, then respectfully wave to the crowd in acknowledgement, then step backwards, back into line at attention.

But apparently we like our judges, especially the booth judges, to be essentally faceless to us now... as this once mandatory and customary " pre show " practice ended years ago.

Edited by BRASSO

Jersey Surf's 2012 pre show.

Mom's " surprise "cellphone call to the DM on the podium just before the Corps steps off.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

The pre-show is whatever happens before the screaming, distorted announcement by Brandt Crocker. I have to edit that out so I can enjoy the track.

Actually, it's a bit more complicated than that, as I learned on these forums after listening to Jeff Prosperie's percussion judge recording of Cadets at Finals last year. For that show, the announcement came at the very top, before any music was played, but Prosperie explicitly says that he'll start judging after the preshow is over, which turns out to be after almost two minutes of performance. So I asked here how that could be.

In response, it was explained that the preshow ends when the timing judge signals the other judges that they may begin judging, usually by circling his or her hand in the air. It doesn't matter whether the announcer says anything or not.

I also really liked how PR came on in 2008. That was fun to be in Bloomington for.

None of it. I'm not a fan of pre-shows at all.

Really? To me it's more entertainment and that's what I'm there for. It gets me excited and allows me to "feel" the corps before the actual show begins. O well.

SCV 2009 was a pretty great one. Really set the tone for that production

Boston had a really good one in 2011, singing Do You Hear the People Sing.

Edit: Thanks for remembering years Ghost. 2012 also had a good pre-show from Boston

Edited by fsubone

Really? To me it's more entertainment and that's what I'm there for. It gets me excited and allows me to "feel" the corps before the actual show begins. O well.

I like them sparingly, not as a rule as it seems they've become. I also prefer beginnings that start loud from the get-go. The best 'pre-show' that actually knocked me flat was SCV's 2001 Alarm.