BlueStars 2015 "Side Show"

brians

I haven't read through this thread, so forgive me if this has been mentioned before. When I saw their musical selections flash on the screen the other night at the cinema I was stoked to see "I Will Never Leave You" as part of their repertoire. When they played it in the show I almost had to strain my ears to pick up the melody. I know it's super early in the season, but I don't get the arrangement at all. Here's a link to the original cast. Do yourself a favor and listen, it could be one of the musical highlights of the season if done right.

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=tStUnyvr8gQ

Wow. Although Blue Stars guard was super strong last year too, so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise. That's one of those little nuances that make a show worth re-watching though!

Great jump last night. Not too worried about the guard score, looking back at last year they're sitting about where they were in June 2014. I expect them to clean up really nice. Have to say it's nice to hear the brass sounding so much better at this point and the scores reflecting it, great staff change was made there and I think it's paying off. Can't wait to see them clean up in July/August, they're going to be an animal of a corps if they can get this super polished.

Great jump last night. Not too worried about the guard score, looking back at last year they're sitting about where they were in June 2014. I expect them to clean up really nice. Have to say it's nice to hear the brass sounding so much better at this point and the scores reflecting it, great staff change was made there and I think it's paying off. Can't wait to see them clean up in July/August, they're going to be an animal of a corps if they can get this super polished.

Who knew one guy could change so much. I've seen videos and the trumpets sound the best the corps has ever had.

I was stoked to see "I Will Never Leave You" as part of their repertoire. When they played it in the show I almost had to strain my ears to pick up the melody. I know it's super early in the season, but I don't get the arrangement at all.

I thought this at first also, but when you think about it the arrangement is actually pretty clever. The ballad is in the conjoined twins section of the show, so they "conjoined" two peices of music. Though I wanna hear "I will never leave you" straight, the current mashup will add GE in the long run imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Caught a vid from Whitewater. Drums are starting to sound REALLY good, and of course the front ensemble is just fantastic. I could see them finishing top 6 in that caption. Same with the guard, they're starting to hit their stride in my eyes, some moments are starting to look really solid. Liking the costuming additions and the silks for the ballad, they look really nice. Brass sounds so much better than last year at this point as well, they have a great sound. Visually is where the work is to be done to my eyes, and it's evident in the scoring as well. Content numbers are definitely there in GE consistently, so I think once they really clean they'll jump scoring wise. Don't know what's with the 12th/13th place predictions, thinking it's probably the scoring in recent days from around the spectrum, some seem really high, some seem really low specifically for Blue Stars as well as Madison. If Madison and Blue Stars end up lower than 11th/12th I'll wager my hands to be devoured again, I think come Saturday we will get a good view into where they really stand. Last year they were around a 75 - 76 at this time, hoping to see something in that ballpark tonight. I personally see both as top 10.

Have a great home show tonight!

• Like 1

I know Tim Fairbanks has been in town this week so expect to see some changes on the Web cast Saturday compared to whitewater. They've gone show day rehearsal day all week so it should be interesting to see what's cleaned up and what's new. As someone mentioned they didn't pass Madison until last year at San Antonio so I'm not worried about their scores. They have some of the hardest drill compared to others in the top 12 which will take time to clean. I just hope there's a small ballad rewrite. Sure wish I could be at the show tonight because UWL Stadium is my favorite place plus the view from the bluff is great.

Edited by BlueStainGlass