Cadets 2015

what?lol

The Cadets honestly have one of the most consistently good colorguards of this decade and with a bigger guard who's to say they can't win it. (I do love how some people act like its blasphemy to suggest cadets winning guard)
  • Like 1

Hopkins has even gone on record 2X this past season envisioning a show where a 56 member hornline is matched by a 56 member guard and 35 member percussion section with 3 drum majors. But then again, he was a snare drummer and his only child does guard.

That would be a rather interesting show.

The 2013 props were a pretty good idea in concept...except they ended up looking like bumper cars as they moved them around the field. :tounge2:

Sure they didn't rip off ZZ Tops "Recycler" tour from the 90s? Edited by JimF-LowBari

Too bad there was never an American flag with ten stars on it...wait I am mixing my years again.

Too bad there was never an American flag with ten stars on it...wait I am mixing my years again.

Well, there was an oblique reference to an American flag during the Lincoln's Portrait drill when hornline made 3 wavy horizontal stripes with the guard in an extended block in the upper corner (right, not left of course.)

Now, if you are imagining for 2015, that begs the question, "Which 3 states get dropped?"

Ha, ha...

But Sacktig lives in Georgia, Pouncey amd Bocook livein S. Carolina, and Austin Green, viz caption head calls North Carolina home. Those other "states" weren't even colonies when country had 13 stars.

Oh, Hopkins let out on webinar that first contest is 6/17 in Indy, usual regionals are usual places at usual dates, and DCI won't announce officially until Nov. 17th for some reason.

Edited by xandandl

Taking into account the current rules of the activity, what exactly would constitute something being considered "original" and/or "groundbreaking" in the activity in 2015 that we haven't already seen before in one form or another, either in the drum corps activity itself, or in the indoor ranks, or in marching band? What do people honestly expect from the Cadets (moreso than other groups for some reason) that would fall under the category of being truly original or groundbreaking?

not playing the music of "dead white guys"

said director of the corps currently being discussed

:tounge2:

• Like 2

it's not a big deal. the word "conservative" just didn't jive with me - as a financial guy - that usually means "not taking risks" -- and choosing something "different" for the cadets and picking a very uptempo version they intend to translate as-is onto the field seems pretty challenging and risk-inherent. Not sure how I came across with an "obvious huge chip on your shoulder" but I guess intent is in the readers realm...

this site has become less and less popular - I think a lot of the negativity and the same folks posting the same snarky comments (not you!) over and over is a big reason why

it shouldn't be a quarter as popular as it was when I sold it - but it is what it is

I almost want to buy it back just to ban about twenty people and then let it become more popular again and re-sell it

Not for profit, but for love of the activity

Anyway - it is what it is... I agree / we agree / it will probably be a favorite in 2015...

Thanks.

HE does love me!

by the way, I look forward to seeing it. as always, with any corps, an announcement means nothing til it hits the field.

I don't.

Note that I said I don't "see" the show as pushing any boundaries. I did not say that it won't or can't.

However, I'm basing my assumption on their past design choices and, IMO, the last time I think the Cadets forced our perceptions of the activity was 2005. They've had some great shows since then. But nothing wholly unique, IMO. There are elements of what they're doing this year that I fell in love with 20 years ago. But the one element I'm worried they've lost is that of the trendsetter.

Again, I don't say this to take anything away from this year's show and hope/expect it to be a vintage Cadet outing. But as a die-hard fan of theirs, I will always expect more of them.

honestly...when I think of cadets pushing the boundaries post 2005...I think it ws the least successful shows, either in terms of placement or cores that actually did it.

2006...look at all of the junk on the field. Kind of rare then...no more common place. 2007....the narrative portion, while roundly mocked, well everywhere, is seeping into more and more shows, albeit not ones scoring all that well...or even as high. Same with 2008.

11, while not original having seen bands do a similar show, was new to DCI with the uniform approach, and it worked.

I think honestly, as an activity, we're at a point where...to be honest...what's left that can truly be considering new and groundbreaking? if DCI doesn't do it, the band world or WGI has or will probably get there first. We keep hearing how electronics opens up a new world of musical selections for us, but due to licensing, we hear more and more music of dead white guys. Even visually, anything "new" in DCi has probably been tried in indoor or in the band world.

I just don't see DCi being where "new" happens anymore.