Cadets 2015

Of course, we've had over 175 posts on this thread, and yet NO ONE has provided any thoughts on whether the color guard will be sporting cornrows for their version of "TEN"

bo-derek-o.gif

I think that would be the VK version.

• Like 1

From Wikipedia -

Do You Hear What I Hear?" is a Christmas song written in October 1962, with lyrics by Noël Regney and music by Gloria Shayne Baker.[1] The pair, married at the time, wrote it as a plea for peace during the Cuban Missile Crisis.[2] It has sold tens of millions of copies and has been covered by hundreds of artists.[2]

Regney was inspired to write the lyrics "Said the night wind to the little lamb, 'Do you see what I see?'" and "Pray for peace, people everywhere" after watching babies being pushed in strollers on the sidewalks of New York City.[1] Shayne stated in an interview years later that neither could personally perform the entire song at the time they wrote it because of the emotions surrounding the Cuban Missile Crisis.[1] "Our little song broke us up. You must realize there was a threat of nuclear war at the time."[1]

Yeah...pretty trite

Thank You!

It's not what I would have expected them to pick for music, but I could see it working well. The Dudamel recording is certainly exciting, and if they can realize some of that on the field, it's the basis for a great show.

Let's be honest, the Cadets have done a good job with their music programs in recent years (with the exception of 2012). 2013 was a well-done take on Barber. 2014 the same for Copland. I have little doubt they have the arrangers, performers and staff to put a compelling performance of Shostakovich on the field.

Where they've struggled is getting show concepts that work and a visual program that coordinates with and enhances the music. The last time this really came together was 2011, although 2013 was a near-miss. The rest of Hop's description kind of sounds like "let's try something like 2013 again, except without the stupid towers", and I think that's a good direction for them to take.

Minus the stage, tarps and goofy drooping capitol banner, the integration of drill plus full field coverage/demand with the 2014 Copland arrangements was excellent....imagine, a guard that actually performs in near unison too!

Thank You!

Agreed!!

I think that would be the VK version.

It's not the cornrows that I was particularly thinking of...or at least, initially, came to mind. :ninja:

Edited: (If anyone need to find me, I can be found sitting on the nearest mountain-top, sitting in the lotus position, intoning "Mmmmmmm...family-appropriate activity...Mmmmmmm...family-appropriate activity...Mmmmmm....family-appropriate activity...Mmmmm...")

Edited by HornTeacher

I take a month off and come back to some potentially GOOD news.

Movement 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po5vTycfZTk or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U7ljZhzNsc (runs about four minutes)

Movement 4 (begins at 40:43) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKhSca8CS1c

Let us see the design team rise to the challenge!

If any of this stays throughout the year, I think I will be very happy. But it's October so I am not gonna get too excited until around April (MAYBE March).

I wish the Cadets would do Bernstein's Mass again. That's a perfect fit.

HELL NO! Why do people always want corps to rehash what they already did?!?!?!?!?

I agree. Considering what is now legal to use in drum corps from an instrumentation and vocal standpoint, they could revisit that material in a totally fresh way.

With a name like "seen-it-all", you'd think you WOULDN'T want any rehashes.

So the Cadets announce a program of fast, exciting music with the promise to pair it with FAST MOVEMENT and folks on here are balking, poking fun, second guessing and doubting

I am SHOCKED :cool:

Personally I hope they ram it down your throat at full volume and full velocity. When Cadets go dark and move fast they are often quite successful. The critics will still chirp, as always

Excited about the percussive opportunities this program affords - one thing missing from last year's program was the percussive-driven moments - front and center / battery spent much of the program back-field

With the strong weapons lines of last years Cadets guard and a very strong returning group of guard vets they will hopefully be featured early and often

Hopefully a loud, fast and exciting Cadets show in 2015!! Sounding good so far!

George.

Well it IS October and they have a tendency to change concepts. But if this show concept sticks around, I just may be going to finals next year. I'm digging the fast, angry, dark music I've heard so far.

Here's to hoping.

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 1

Remember when CADETS were the innovators ?

What happened ?

At least the Narration is gone . Now lets hope the COLTS follow and cut it down also.

I dont mind narration to tell a story. But long dialog like Colts and Cadets shows little imagination and poor design.

Remember when CADETS were the innovators ?

What happened ?

At least the Narration is gone . Now lets hope the COLTS follow and cut it down also.

I dont mind narration to tell a story. But long dialog like Colts and Cadets shows little imagination and poor design.

They still are, live narration connects to the audience pretty well (most) did you even see the cadets live or are you judging through a screen?

They still are, live narration connects to the audience pretty well (most) did you even see the cadets live or are you judging through a screen?

Here we go again.