Cadets 2015

If that was a tame show, the Cadets need to put out more tame shows.

Granted, the show was much more appealing than many of the shows they put out the past few years, but compared to what I'm used to and from what I marched, the show was indeed, tame. I don't want anymore tame Cadets. This potential show idea sounds as if it could be something many fans have wanted from the Cadets for a while now; great music, high velocity drill. Yes, it's only October and I'm containing my excitement until it gets closer to the summer, but just thinking about what they could possibly do with this is giving me chills.

This show has potential, 2000Cadet. It's just an idea right now though...

Hopefully the idea turns into reality....

There is no way to "tame" this show if they stick with this and why wouldn't they. I think from a design point, the multiples of ten used can let them play and March which they do extremely well and and looselt tie in the concept throughout the show without having to beat us over the head with a concept. I'm tentively very optimistic and if nothing else, it will be a Cadets show that will take all season to clean and that's when they are the most dangerous. (Dear Lord, please no Bo Derrick tarps at the end of the show).

I was thinking the same thing. As long as they don't screw it up if they keep this concept, I have a feeling this could be another great Cadets show.

With a name like "seen-it-all", you'd think you WOULDN'T want any rehashes.

When did I say they should do the exact same show as they did in 1983? Have you ever listened to the ENTIRE Mass by Leonard Bernstein?? There is oodles of material that has never seen the light of day on a football field that would incorporate all the bells and whistles that George has been a proponent of in the activity for years, including voice, electronics, and all sorts of other outrageous musical moments that would make for an entirely fresh presentation of that material.

Another "Side by Side performance clinic"? You can see that THIS early?

I swear I hope you're wrong. And I mean that PASSIONATELY.

Of course I can't see anything definitive this early. I'm simply sharing my opinion on the announcement at this point of the year. As is literally everyone else in this thread. No crystal ball here, just discussion on a discussion forum.

That said, my comparison to Side X Side was meant to be a good thing. I'd argue with you regarding it being a 'tame' show, but I'm sure you'd agree that it was the most technically proficient musical outing the Cadets have fielded in years. Take the towers out of the mix, and it's pretty #### clean visually too. With the feeling that this year's concept is Sacktig's idea/baby, coupled with some faster tempos and the talent they've been attracting lately, I think/hope/have-the-opinion-at-this-stage-of-the-game that this will be some vintage Cadets.

Probably nothing earth-shatteringly unique. But a return to form that most fans of Cadets hope for.

• Like 1

There is no way to "tame" this show if they stick with this and why wouldn't they. I think from a design point, the multiples of ten used can let them play and March which they do extremely well and and looselt tie in the concept throughout the show without having to beat us over the head with a concept. I'm tentively very optimistic and if nothing else, it will be a Cadets show that will take all season to clean and that's when they are the most dangerous. (Dear Lord, please no Bo Derrick tarps at the end of the show).

Very much in agreement with you, Tobias. ( By the way...how's Gibbs? :tounge2: ) I'm not at all a fan of a Corps needing to beat me over the head incessantly with a "concept". I've said it before, and I'll say it again: It's like a joke. If you have to explain the punchline, then the joke ceases to be funny. And if a Corps "needs" repetitious usage of constantly driving home a concept...well...then to me, the show isn't well written.

Edited by HornTeacher

2000: re: Wait, Cadets show this year WILL BE having narration or will it not? If not, I'm not sure why this is even being brought up at this point.

Yup, Hopkins said 3 different times in the webinar and in the follow up Q&A: no narration, no stripes, no ducking challenge and excellence.

He also said no worries about facial hair, provided one looks like him, jk.

Those who think he changes his mind A LOT about show intentions may be surprised this season. No big licensing issues; Cadets being Cadets will be unique enough.

Whether it is Shostakovich 10 or Mary Had a Little Lamb, as long as the Cadets produce a musical and marching force like they did in almost every year in memory, it will be a show worth anticipating and enjoying.

• Like 1

When did I say they should do the exact same show as they did in 1983? Have you ever listened to the ENTIRE Mass by Leonard Bernstein?? There is oodles of material that has never seen the light of day on a football field that would incorporate all the bells and whistles that George has been a proponent of in the activity for years, including voice, electronics, and all sorts of other outrageous musical moments that would make for an entirely fresh presentation of that material.

You didn't say otherwise. My point is Cadets have visited Bernstein enough. Enough is ENOUGH already. Visiting music they haven't done before seems to be more successful for them (recently anyway).

The current Coats staff will be quite competent in assigning him the appropriate advisory role

I just said I thought the cadets were still innovators, which is my opinion I was not trying to talk down to anyone, and I never said I was all knowing of drum corps, I'm really not, I'm pretty much just a hopeful fanboy who talks to much sometimes and i try to learn from my mistakes, so I'm sorry if I have seemed over dramatic, now back to the cadets, I think it will be a good year. :)

You didn't say otherwise. My point is Cadets have visited Bernstein enough. Enough is ENOUGH already. Visiting music they haven't done before seems to be more successful for them (recently anyway).

By playing parts of the Mass they haven't played before (that NOBODY has played before), they would be doing exactly that. That they should somehow preclude all music written by Leonard Bernstein, even if they or nobody has played it before, is patently absurd.

I don't love it like the 5th finale, but Shostakovich's 10th has been up there since I heard Regiment do it in Madison in 02 (well, 2nd movement anyway). I'll go back and check out Blue Knights and Boston, but Regiment certainly didn't take it at this Dudamel tempo -- it's a pretty crazy tempo. I'm excited they're doing the 4th movement, too -- I don't believe any drum corps has tried that (please correct me).

His 20 trumpets 40 guard yadda yadda stuff was just rambling of ideas, he did not say they've decided on the breakdown of the corps. He did discuss F horns a little, I think, and said he'd bet at this point that any props they have will be stationary. He hasn't discussed uniforms, colors, what kinds of props, and anything about how the show will flow between the 2nd and 4th movements and Jay's original material.

He understands some may think it's "X" because of their 10 DCI championships (and 10 national titles before that?), but that's not really on their minds.

In the end, he says at this point to expect a fast show with no narration.

IMO as a Cadet homer, they do best (competitively and with audiences) when they march and play to impress (i.e., fast and complicated stuff). They also do best when there isn't much of a theme -- they're better when "what's this about" is pretty vague and open to interpretation. There are exceptions, certainly, but this could be the kind of show most of us want to see them do.

• Like 3