Cadets 2015

And we have a vet returning to fill the injured trumpet spot. Every injury related spot opening has been filled by a Cadet vet. That should make the process of getting them show ready easier. They know to step off with the right foot!

I see what you did there :wink:

Edited by blakman7
  • Like 1

So far this year, this is the second post that points out where Cappybara did not march.

To be fair, HE was the one in this instance who pointed out that he never marched. He opened the door on this one, and I commented as tactfully as I could with my reply. Having an opinion is one thing. But some opinions carry more weight than others, especially when commenting on something whereby experience would definitely come into play. That's fair game as far as I'm concerned. If he didn't bring his lack of experience into the conversation, I probably wouldn't have responded at all.

To be fair, HE was the one in this instance who pointed out that he never marched. He opened the door on this one, and I commented as tactfully as I could with my reply. Having an opinion is one thing. But some opinions carry more weight than others, especially when commenting on something whereby experience would definitely come into play. That's fair game as far as I'm concerned. If he didn't bring his lack of experience into the conversation, I probably wouldn't have responded at all.

I totally agree. But at the same time we can't "dismiss" opinions of folks who haven't marched. A lot of great observations from that perspective also. As well as folks who maybe marched in a smaller corps, another World Class corps or a DCA unit. Or band but not corps... some of these bands are quite robust organizations.

But certainly "on tour" with a Cadet-type group is a unique and bonding experience hard to describe unless you are around it day-to-day or even better, a participant

Cappybara is one of our best DCP contributors - we don't always agree, but they are just as valued as anyone else. Everyone seems to get that too.

So - filling the holes with vets is KEY for Cadets. The program is so incredibly challenging, and they already know the "Cadet way" - which actually takes a year of marching with them to really understand

For example - rehearsals move very quickly. They are intense and focused. It's hard to "keep up" in a way if you've never marched there - a different approach you have to experience to get

Cadets tend to find enough down time in a given day to save an hour or so. Not breaks and meals, but dead rehearsal time. That approach let's them "find" and extra week of rehearsal time over the course of the tour. That's why the frequently improve and make changes extremely rapidly. Something about the way they edit down the big picture and set priorities that is among the best in the business. They often make up for changes & a little less "talent" or "resources" than say a BD through this approach.

This corps is very vet-laden and loves their program, the talent level is immense (even for the Cadets) - it is going to be very interesting to see where they take this monster of a show the next few weeks...

• Like 2

Hey I totally understand. I'm sure this is the type of thing where I have to experience to believe, which is why I never posted after someone told me I need to march to experience it. Unfortunately I'll never get the chance to march even though I'm still within the age to.

Thanks for taking my comments in stride, and for not ascribing any ill motives on my part where there were definitely none intended.

• Like 1

What is Dead rehearsal time?

water break time, running vs. walking back to sets, time standing there while one section is spoken to or the staff discusses things -- ie: downtime that is really non productive

I don't mind it in this instance. I can see how this is the type of thing where I'd need to experience to truly understand. Also it helps that you were very respectful about it. Like you said, it's fair game.

water break time, running vs. walking back to sets, time standing there while one section is spoken to or the staff discusses things -- ie: downtime that is really non productive

Ummm, excuse me, why are you in this thread with a big @ss Bluecoats banner??!?!?!!

TRAITOR!!!

I'm just kidding lol...

• Like 3