Cadets 2015

The show was never designed to be about a Russian Revolution and although some of your comments are interesting about adding some points of aggression into the show, if that angle is pushed, doesn't the rest of the show now lack that element of the revolution? Guard uniforms, silks, dance moves would all need to be addressed. I agree with transitioning to darker colors but I wouldn't introduce any "revolution" innuendos.

I didn't say anything about "revolution." The Russian Revolution was in 1905. We're talking about a different era. The end of the Stalin era in 1953.

• "I did depict Stalin in my next symphony, the Tenth. I wrote it right after Stalin's death and no one has yet guessed what the symphony is about. It's about Stalin and the Stalin years. The second part, the scherzo, is a musical portrait of Stalin, roughly speaking. Of course, there are many other things in it, but that's the basis.[2]" --Shostakovich

The end of an old guard and the beginning of a new guard, in style, in fashion, in modes of thinking at the time. Not guns and butter like Les Mis.

I hope you're not involved in the production in any way! LOLz. :cool:

Do not engage..........lol.

They performed fine. Cadets must add at least one more design element. They've got plenty of time to do it. I think it's best if they add one or more subtle, minute hints to the historical time period in Russia, 1953.

1) The front masking panels should be solid red to begin with, or covered with a red velvet cloak. it's nearing the end of the Stalinist era. Then around 10:30, they flip or uncloak to reveal the present multi colored panels. Tradition versus innovation, a theme in the 10th symphony.

2) The drum solo at 3:00 gets lost. I'd accent the drums coming forward during this solo with a mlitary-style rifle box around them with angular, military style movements to match the staccato punctuation of the drums in this phrase. (The rifles are close by anyway during the solo--why not move them over slightly and encase the drumlin coming forward.) This sudden flavor of traditional old guard military bearing helps support the theme of tradition versus innovation and the end of the Stalinist era. Make a set piece out of it. Otherwise things all start to look the same, and everything starts to look like an amorphous, breathless transition.

3) At 8:50, we see the dancers on the platform they've built. They get on, they dance and they leave. Wouldn't it be better if they were pushed off by the French horn soloists? It might subtly exemplify the battle of innovation versus tradition? So the modern dancers represent innovation and they're pushed off by the traditional french horn players. (Either that or have the French horns rip off their traditional sashes just before playing. Something, anything to indicate new versus old.)

Omg how many times are you going to bring up this russian revolution stuff?? Why must you keep at it almost everyday?? Many others have already discussed this topic to death with you. Only reason is because you get some pleasure out of getting off the troll bus in cadet land. :wall: You go from forum to forum doing the same annoying thing day after day/ Find other people to annoy already. :bleah:

Do you even know what era this musical piece was written in? 1953! That has nothing to do with the Russian revolution. This is not a war symphony. It's about the cultural transition in Russia in 1953.

"I did depict Stalin in my next symphony, the Tenth. I wrote it right after Stalin's death and no one has yet guessed what the symphony is about. It's about Stalin and the Stalin years. The second part, the scherzo, is a musical portrait of Stalin, roughly speaking. Of course, there are many other things in it, but that's the basis.[2] --Shostakovich

Let me rephrase the question,

What happened with their PERFORMANCE last night? NOT what do YOU think needs to be changed in order to fit some made up theme you think their show is about. Jesus Christ.

The Cadets' deflated score is a reflection of their design compared to the other shows. Not on the execution. The kids are incredibly talented and consistent. If the executed any more perfectly, they should be checked to see if they're really human. The show design lacks depth and meaning, and the wheels on the wagon are beginning to fall off. There's a way to fix it. Welcome to the new era of drum corps where people begin to realize scores have everything to do with design, and little to do with whether a release was sloppy, or if someone dropped, tripped, or fell. I understand your anger. You marched. You believe that execution is everything. That's what you're programmed to believe. But as I've been saying, when scores are within a half a point of each other, it's less about execution and more about thematic design. Cadets need to build in some thematic elements in order to compete. Otherwise, they'll place fifth.

• Like 1

Come on, guys, Channel3 is totally right. When you look at other top corps' shows, we see a journey through hell to an ascension, and a show ABOUT stories. What about the Cadets? Ten. It's about the number ten. That's pretty shallow compared to some of the other corps.

The Cadets' deflated score is a reflection of their design compared to the other shows. Not on the execution. The kids are incredibly talented and consistent. If the executed any more perfectly, they should be checked to see if they're really human. The show design lacks depth and meaning, and the wheels on the wagon are beginning to fall off. There's a way to fix it. Welcome to the new era of drum corps where people begin to realize scores have everything to do with design, and little to do with whether a release was sloppy, or if someone dropped, tripped, or fell. I understand your anger. You marched. You believe that execution is everything. That's what you're programmed to believe. But as I've been saying, when scores are within a half a point of each other, it's less about execution and more about thematic design. Cadets need to build in some thematic elements in order to compete. Otherwise, they'll place fifth.

The subcaptions do not appear to support your claim.

Come on, guys, Channel3 is totally right. When you look at other top corps' shows, we see a journey through hell to an ascension, and a show ABOUT stories. What about the Cadets? Ten. It's about the number ten. That's pretty shallow compared to some of the other corps.

You are entitled to your opinion as are we all. Problem I have is he does this in most forums looking for a reaction.. Then gets very nasty with people. People get out of a show whatever they get out of it. How many times have people loved a show only to find out they love it for none of the reasons the designers hoped for. Cadets is not about 10 it's about the color spectrum hence the changing neon colors as Hopkins explained many times, Channel seems to think he designed the show and we all don't get it. lol. But it makes no difference. His sole purpose is to agitate people in forums for whatever reason. If you have read other forums I am sure you have seen him. Just the corps names change. Cadets usually have a theme every year.Just some people like to not like them most of the time.

• Like 2

Can we change the "channel?" :silly:

• Like 1

Oh my God! Someone bold enough to agree with me! Who are you?! Are you a sociopath? I've been all alone on this island here for years! Hi! Nice to meet you! Have you read The Emperor's New Clothes? Can I buy you a drink? Can I friend you on Facebook? Good to know ya! Do you have a college degree? Have you researched Dante's Inferno? Do you know the difference between the Russian Revolution in 1905 and the end of the Stalin era in 1953? Do you know a tune by The Books called Mr. Maps which the Bluecoats use in their show?

Here's a theme comparison of this year's shows. Note a clear line of separation.

Blue Devils - the storybook characters from our childhood can still teach us how to listen.

Crown-Dante escaped the depths of hell through a belief in joy and love.

SCV-inventors succeed because of their childlike imaginations

Cavaliers- sportsmen fiercely challenge each other to transcend their own limitations

Bloo-energy moves things in wave-like patterns. (Faint odor.)

Cadets-The number 10, neon colors and the color spectrum. (Faint odor.)

It's not too late for these bottom two corps to add a soupçon of meaning to bolster their thematic arguments. All Bluecoats needed in 2014 was a quote from one of the composers about being intentionally "off kilter" with their compositions and Bloo would have won. (The quote didn't even have to be in the show itself.) I'm just down the street if you ever need to borrow a cup of sugar! Take care!

Edited by Channel3
  • Like 1

The subcaptions do not appear to support your claim.

GE-Artistry.

GE-Conceptual vision.

Visual analysis-Depth and Breadth of design.

CG- overall design and concept.

Edited by Channel3