Cadets 2015

Looks like I missed out on a lot last night. What. Happened.???

They performed fine. Cadets must add at least one more design element. They've got plenty of time to do it. I think it's best if they add one or more subtle, minute hints to the historical time period in Russia, 1953.

1) The front masking panels should be solid red to begin with, or covered with a red velvet cloak. it's nearing the end of the Stalinist era. Then around 10:30, they flip or uncloak to reveal the present multi colored panels. Tradition versus innovation, a theme in the 10th symphony.

2) The drum solo at 3:00 gets lost. I'd accent the drums coming forward during this solo with a mlitary-style rifle box around them with angular, military style movements to match the staccato punctuation of the drums in this phrase. (The rifles are close by anyway during the solo--why not move them over slightly and encase the drumline coming forward.) This stark appearance of traditional old-guard military bearing helps support the theme of tradition versus innovation and the end of the Stalinist era. Make a set piece out of it. Otherwise things all start to look the same, and everything starts to look like an amorphous, breathless transition.

3) At 8:50, we see the dancers on the platform they've built. They get on, they dance and they leave. Wouldn't it be better if they were pushed off by the French horn soloists? It might subtly exemplify the battle of innovation versus tradition? So the modern dancers represent innovation and they're pushed off by the traditional french horn players. (Either that or have the French horns rip off their traditional sashes just before playing. Something, anything to indicate new versus old.)

Edited by Channel3
  • Like 1

They performed fine. Cadets must add at least one more design element. They've got plenty of time to do it. I think it's best if they add subtle, minute hints to the historical time period in Russia, 1953.

1) The front masking panels should be solid red to begin with, or covered with a red velvet cloak. it's nearing the end of the Stalinist era. Then around 10:30, they flip or uncloak to reveal the present multi colored panels. Tradition versus innovation, a theme in the 10th symphony.

2) The drum solo at 3:00 gets lost. I'd accent the drums coming forward during this solo with a mlitary-style rifle box around them with angular, military style movements to match the staccato punctuation of the drums in this phrase. (The rifles are close by anyway during the solo--why not move them over slightly and encase the drumlin coming forward.) This sudden flavor of traditional old guard military bearing helps support the theme of tradition versus innovation and the end of the Stalinist era. Make a set piece out of it. Otherwise things all start to look the same, and everything starts to look like an amorphous, breathless transition.

3) At 8:50, we see the dancers on the platform they've built. They get on, they dance and they leave. Wouldn't it be better if they were pushed off by the French horn soloists? It might subtly exemplify the battle of innovation versus tradition? So the modern dancers represent innovation and they're pushed off by the traditional french horn players. (Either that or have the French horns rip off their traditional sashes just before playing. Something, anything to indicate old versus new.)

The show was never designed to be about a Russian Revolution and although some of your comments are interesting about adding some points of aggression into the show, if that angle is pushed, doesn't the rest of the show now lack that element of the revolution? Guard uniforms, silks, dance moves would all need to be addressed. I agree with transitioning to darker colors but I wouldn't introduce any "revolution" innuendos.

The show was never designed to be about a Russian Revolution and although some of your comments are interesting about adding some points of aggression into the show, if that angle is pushed, doesn't the rest of the show now lack that element of the revolution? Guard uniforms, silks, dance moves would all need to be addressed. I agree with transitioning to darker colors but I wouldn't introduce any "revolution" innuendos.

Do not engage..........lol.

• Like 6

I try to be nice and he does really dissect the show's so I give him credit for that.

They performed fine. Cadets must add at least one more design element. They've got plenty of time to do it. I think it's best if they add one or more subtle, minute hints to the historical time period in Russia, 1953.

2) The drum solo at 3:00 gets lost. I'd accent the drums coming forward during this solo with a mlitary-style rifle box around them with angular, military style movements to match the staccato punctuation of the drums in this phrase. (The rifles are close by anyway during the solo--why not move them over slightly and encase the drumlin coming forward.) This sudden flavor of traditional old guard military bearing helps support the theme of tradition versus innovation and the end of the Stalinist era. Make a set piece out of it. Otherwise things all start to look the same, and everything starts to look like an amorphous, breathless transition.

3) At 8:50, we see the dancers on the platform they've built. They get on, they dance and they leave. Wouldn't it be better if they were pushed off by the French horn soloists? It might subtly exemplify the battle of innovation versus tradition? So the modern dancers represent innovation and they're pushed off by the traditional french horn players. (Either that or have the French horns rip off their traditional sashes just before playing. Something, anything to indicate new versus old.)

Let me rephrase the question,

What happened with their PERFORMANCE last night? NOT what do YOU think needs to be changed in order to fit some made up theme you think their show is about. Jesus Christ.

Don't use the Lord's name in vain. I wouldn't worry about the Cadets. They're working through a new ending plus some other smaller changes. They'll clean up. It's still a beast of a show. That hasn't changed because of one weird percussion score.

Just wanted to say that despite my thoughts about their competiveness and design in the other threads, I really love this show. My comments were only what I think would help/hurt them in the race for gold. This might well end up being my all time favorite Cadets corps and show.

Omg how many times are you going to bring up this russian revolution stuff?? Why must you keep at it almost everyday?? Many others have already discussed this topic to death with you. Only reason is because you get some pleasure out of getting off the troll bus in cadet land. :wall: You go from forum to forum doing the same annoying thing day after day/ Find other people to annoy already. :bleah: