Judge Tapes

Is there a reason why judge tapes are not released? There are some released online (mostly cadets tapes) but they're rare. I'd seriously be willing to pay a little extra a year on fan network to get access to them. Especially would love to hear the tape for BD this year.

Is there a reason why judge tapes are not released? There are some released online (mostly cadets tapes) but they're rare. I'd seriously be willing to pay a little extra a year on fan network to get access to them. Especially would love to hear the tape for BD this year.

Well there are many ( fans ) who like tapes released for a number of reasons which I understand BUT there are also many staff who believe this is a private thing for a corps. It's kinda like knowing what a judge said about whatever weakness. and where a corps might go next . Some may not think it's a big deal but for many it is. It is a competition and I dont think in many cases, while strategically planning what needs to be worked on or done is something one wants their competitor having access to.

I see both sides of this BUT both sides look at it from a very different seat.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

Well there are many ( fans ) who like tapes released for a number of reasons which I understand BUT there are also many staff who believe this is a private thing for a corps. It's kinda like knowing what a judge said about whatever weakness. and where a corps might go next . Some may not think it's a big deal but for many it is. It is a competition and I dont think in many cases, while strategically planning what needs to be worked on or done is something one wants their competitor having access to.

I see both sides of this BUT both sides look at it from a very different seat.

Don't caption scores suggest what a corps needs to work on? I'm not sure why a judge tape would make much of a difference.

Don't caption scores suggest what a corps needs to work on? I'm not sure why a judge tape would make much of a difference.

Sure, BUT it's what may or may not be said on a tape. I get why people like to hear them. For me? No .

Scores are just scores and dont tell specifics. Tapes do

It , for some , can also mean being called out on something publicly . Sure , one side loves it but if you are a target you don't want that out there and it also suggests what from a competition standpoint you may have been told to beef up , fix change,etc etc.

If I had some of that info on my competitor you can bet I would use it and 1 up them if possible.Remember it is a competition.

Maybe no right or wrong in this but very different perspectives.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

Some corps release tapes (Facebook, etc).

Bluecoats released part of the Music Analysis tape from the "Hymn of Acxiom" section of their show on Facebook recently.

Sure, BUT it's what may or may not be said on a tape. I get why people like to hear them. For me? No .

Scores are just scores and dont tell specifics. Tapes do

It , for some , can also mean being called out on something publicly . Sure , one side loves it but if you are a target you don't want that out there and it also suggests what from a competition standpoint you may have been told to beef up , fix change,etc etc.

If I had some of that info on my competitor you can bet I would use it and 1 up them if possible.Remember it is a competition.

Maybe no right or wrong in this but very different perspectives.

Personally, I think the decision belongs to the individual corps, not to DCI as an organization placing them on the Fan Network of something. While we-as-fans might like to know what is on the tapes, we don't really have to know...it isn't something we have the right to know, in other words...at least IMO. Yes, it is cool to hear them, so I understand the desire. I also think that wholesale release of tapes might cause judges to be more generic..and therefor less insightful...in what they say, if they think their words will be spread all over the web.

• Like 2

Some corps release tapes (Facebook, etc).

Bluecoats released part of the Music Analysis tape from the "Hymn of Acxiom" section of their show on Facebook recently.

That video is exactly what prompted me to create this topic

Would you want your personal evaluation at work to be available to the general public? would the company you work for put out for the public to see an overall evaluation of their operation? Next time you are at work ask for the overall work place evaluation or that of your boss or co worker and see what response you get. And then, ask if you can make the evaluations public on a web site and see what response you get.

• Like 1

Would you want your personal evaluation at work to be available to the general public? would the company you work for put out for the public to see an overall evaluation of their operation? Next time you are at work ask for the overall work place evaluation or that of your boss or co worker and see what response you get. And then, ask if you can make the evaluations public on a web site and see what response you get.

If your parallel is correct, why are their tapes out online?

Edited by Cappybara