Theater Attendance Growth - 11 year record growth

I don't get these numbers as they look like they're down dramatically over time.

Would you explain how this is good, NE, disregarding the last two years of marginal growth?

You are ignoring one crucial variable: the number of theaters in use per year. The number has gone up from 44 theaters in 2004 to 634 theaters in 2014.

11_11_2014_2014_dci_theater_infographic_

• Like 2

Not fair to compare a movie to a one time event ,i'm sure the theates make more on the movie consider most play a least a week .not one night .

How much more do DCI's costs increase per each additional auditorium? These are the numbers of attendees per screen:

2004 -- 400 attendees/theatre

2005 -- 266 attendees/theatre

2006 -- 218 attendees/theatre

2007 -- 198 attendees/theatre

2008 -- 99 attendees/theatre

2009 -- 94 attendees/theatre

2010 -- 79 attendees/theatre

2011 -- 73 attendees/theatre

2012 -- 71 attendees/theatre

2013 -- 78 attendees/theatre

2014 -- 78 attendees/theatre

So their average is up slightly the past two years vs. the previous two.

Thursday afternoon/evening is a very slow time for most movie theaters. Most theater owners probably have 0 other options that could draw 75 people in that time slot, so they probably look at DCI as a fantastic event.

The local shows in Portland OR seem to draw a little above the average - I'd guess there were 100 people there this year. But peeking in on the other 9 theaters, they all had like 5 people. So DCI was by far the best thing playing that afternoon.

• Like 1

I didn't say it was good. I asked how much it costs DCI. Presumably, as drumcorpsfever says, they wouldn't have added theatres if it was costing them more, but that's just a guess. What was the price for a "Big, Loud, and Live" ticket? Was it $18? If that's right, and assuming for the sake of simplifying the math that the price didn't change (and ignoring inflation, too), with 17,603 attendees in 2004, that works out to $316,854, while with 49,168 attendees in 2014, that works out to $885,024. But if it costs DCI, let's just say, $500 per theatre (I have no idea what the real number is), then their costs for 44 theatres in 2004 were $22,000 and their costs for 634 theatres in 2014 were $317,000. That gives a net of $294,854 in 2004 and $568,024 in 2014. Clearly worth it. If the cost per theatre exceeds $963, then (at $18/ticket), then it would be less profitable for DCI in 2014 than in 2004.

agreed.....if it didn't make financial sense, go for it.

And remember, not all theaters showing it are 400 seat rooms

The number of theaters that are able to provide lives shows is increasing, so the growth in the numbers of theaters may not be as significant as the number of fans. In the Boston area, some theaters sell out a week prior to the show, others from what I understand have few attendees, at least according to a friend who is a part time manager for AMC. She also claims that longer live shows with intermissions are profit makers due to concession sales. I know last year I didn't make it to Indy so I went to the local movie theater. The theater I wanted to go to was sold out, it was also the one with the best food.

While the numbers do show growth, with all the kids in high school music programs that have not yet started school along with drum corps alums, the numbers are good but there is still room for more growth. Now I would think a live broadcast of finals could be a draw, but theaters would only take a chance in this if the Thursday semis performances were filled to capacity since a Saturday night, even in August when sales are down now that the summer blockbusters are no longer new releases, is still a time of prime sales.

On a completely different note, my friend claims DCI fans are more fun and are easier to deal with than the Met Live in HD crowd. I guess Drum Corps nuts don't complain in public, only on a DCP.

• Like 1

For accuracy sake. I think its reasonable to conclude that FAR than 21,000 ( and another 1,000 or so via computer ) watched DCI Finals live in the 70's, 80's when DCI had a working relationship with PBS to carry the show live ( then later on tape delay in later years ). My guess, DCI probably had well over 100,000 that tuned in to the DCI Finals telecast BITD that was pretty much telecast in all 50 states, as well as shown in many parts of Canada.

This would be a longer time frame comparison than the much shorter, more recent time frame used here by DCI in their press release comparison. Just sayin'

Edited by BRASSO

So many thousands more watching on PBS in the 80s, and you know what? Drum corps were folding at a record rate. Olympic Stadium in Montreal has to seat them in the endzone and backfield it's so crowded at finals in 1981, and you know what? Lots of them never came to finals again - maybe never saw a drum corps show again because fans were walking away in the 80s.

These constant reminders of past drum corps glory always seem to miss the most important difference between now and a generation ago. It's not electronics or voice or Bb. It's that today's drum corps is reasonably stable and might even be growing its audience - particularly when you account for digital delivery of drum corps media. That's a stark contrast from the 70s, 80s and 90s when drum corps watched its ranks of both corps and spectators whither.

Growth in the theater audience is a positive for DCI and for drum corps. Only the warped melodramatics of DCP could see it differently.

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 4

Aside from a blockbuster movie out there, I'd say 78 attendees per theater is pretty good. Take a head count the next time you're in a theater for movie. They wouldn't be increasing the number of theaters if the numbers didn't make sense.

Especially for a Thursday night (or afternoon/evening in CA) in early August

Not fair to compare a movie to a one time event ,i'm sure the theates make more on the movie consider most play a least a week .not one night .

on the flip side, movie theaters make very little off of ticket sales and most of their revenue off of concession stands. An all day/night event like DCI semifinals could mean significant concessions sold: especially on an early August Thursday