Theater Attendance Growth - 11 year record growth

Lies, dam lies and statistics. That's what we have here kids. You have fallen into the trap.

Any further discussion?

Where are the lies you are talking about? Clearly you have some inside information.

Where are the lies you are talking about? Clearly you have some inside information.

You'll have to ask Mark Twain.... but he hasn't been talking to anyone for a while.... :tounge2:

• Like 1

You'll have to ask Mark Twain.... but he hasn't been talking to anyone for a while.... :tounge2:

Well there certainly is more logic and credibility with Mr. Twain. I will say that for sure.

How many people need to fall into a trap before it is statistically a trap? Can you prove how many fell vs. how many were pushed?

Lol. More statistics!!!!!

OK, I'm behind on DCI: what do they do for Championship week via the web?

DCI started last year what DCA did this year: a pay-per-view Finals webcast.

Additionally, DCI has webcast SemiFinals to Fan Network subscribers for a few years.

And DCI webcasts approximately the two-thirds of Prelims (to Fan Network subscribers only or free? I can't remember) while the rest are shown in the cinema.

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder if the overall dispsable incomes of those who once contributed in satisfactory levels in the PBS DCI telecast years began to wane as new audiences began to replace those that either left or stopped watching the DCI PBS telecasts. We all can agree it seems to me that more music educators, band directors, those with Music Ed degrees and/ or careers, probably watch DCI shows in far higher numbers than perhaps before. And we should all be able to agree that... on the whole, and as a general rule... those employed in teaching and in teaching music in particular don't make as much money as those in most other Professional and/ or Skilled Trades fields. Since this thread is about the diminuation of once satisfactory financial contributions, might it be the changed PBS audience income demographic ( compared to other PBS option demograhics that had perhaps deeper pockets ) that positioned the DCI watching audience at a disadvantage as the years went by ? I don't know the answer to this.. but merely pointing out what might have been a plausible explanation for consideration as to why DCI watchers increasingly began to offer less financial support for the PBS DCI telecast over time.... eventually leading to the unfortunate loss of the DCI Finals telecast on TV with any TV station.

Brasso, I'm glad you're back as I've enjoyed your points when I can figure them out.

I suspect there likely dozens of opinions in your head that make perfect sense to you, but what comes out in your posts is the most confusing batch of gibberish. It takes me multiple reads to try to second guess your poor syntax and long, complicated sentences into something that makes rational sense. So, after my fourth read, let me see if I can summarize your points here.

Wealthy people used to watch PBS because, at the time, it was the media format for the arts that could be watched an supported. As those wealthy people stopped watching PBS they stopped contributing. Check.

Band directors are watching in numbers never seen before. Check. But you make no point of it, beyond the possibility that music educators (an other educators, like English teachers I presume) growing viewing numbers has been, what, replacing the old wealthy dead people who are no longer watching PBS?

Band directors, and other educators (like English teachers) who ARE watching drum corps media don't have the money that those old, wealthy, PBS-watchers of yesterday had. (Oh, and don't forget the "skilled trades". Brick-layers love drum corps.)

This thread is not about "the diminuation of once satisfactory financial contributions", it's about the success, or not, of DCI's theater project. And "once satisfactory" is self-defeating because it failed because it was NOT satisfactory. Your contention is that PBS was once a money-maker. That's false, at least to the extent that it was a sustaining or sustainable part of DCI financing. This thread is not even about that falsehood and that falsehood is not related to DCI's theater broadcast program or success.

Your twisted last sentence - "...increasingly began to offer less financial support...", seriously?, is self-fulfilling by history itself. Fewer people gave fewer dollars. It should not be construed that PBS was, at one time, receiving "satisfactory financial contributions". It wasn't, ever.

The wealthy supporters are still around. They just have more places to support and experience the arts now than in the early 1980's.

Sorry, man, I really wish you'd put more effort into your syntax and shorten your sentences. It would help a lot in making your points, at least to me.

This thread is about the growth of the theater broadcast success. The mere fact that it appears the project is making money confirms that it's not related to PBS' success for failure. They learned, they moved on, and this one seems to work better.

Yes, the lack of followthrough by DCI pledgers contributed to the removal of the show from PBS affiliates, which has been posted here in the past.

The point is that when PBS was showing champs...DCI made $0.00 on that. Today, they do make some amount of $$$ from the theater show for prelims and web show of semis, so my light-hearted comment that even a $1.00 profit is more than they...DCI...made on the PBS show.

WGBH in Boston viewed the endeavor successful for the Boston affiliate, largely due to introducing new people to PBS. They've been in the forefront if providing a variety if entertainment to PBS audiences. WGBH brings "Masterpiece" and it's cult classic series "Downton Abbey" to audiences. As far as DCI or corps seeing revenues, in the 1970's PBS did not always pay performers which is part of the reason the BSO and Boston Pops concerts were no longer broadcast. Sponsors paid for filming alone. That's very different today.

That being said, DCI would have to prove it would have to be beneficial to both DCI and PBS. I think it could work in some markets. However, as some people who recognize my name may be quick to point out, some of my predictions regarding drum corps are not always correct.

Edited by Tim K

Brasso, I'm glad you're back as I've enjoyed your points when I can figure them out.

. Your contention is that PBS was once a money-maker. That's fals

Sorry, man, I really wish you'd put more effort into your syntax and shorten your sentences.

A) No... I never said above ( nor believe ) that the PBS DCI telecast was a a " money maker " for either PBS, nor for DCI.... and see no reason to redo my comments for any further clarity on what I did state, as I stated it in clear, understandable terms it seems to me.

B) I will attempt to work on better syntax if that is what is important to you. As for " shortening the sentences ", I will only observe that you used more words in your reply comments to me than in my initial comments above. Any chance you can shorten your reply words in your replies ? Perhaps we can reach a mutual satisfactory level,... Man,... when it comes to the all important syntax and length of sentences thing that is of such an apparent frustrating concern to you.

Edited by BRASSO

It was probably inevitable that DCI would lose its telecast of Finals on PBS, imo.

The PBS typical audience of 2014 is probably older than when PBS televised the DCI Finals.

One look at the typical programming on PBS and aside from a few children's programming, the PBS programming tends to follow the tastes of the grey hairs, the pearls clutchers, the urban sophisticates, etc and the like.

Theres' not a lot of programming geared to the Millennials on PBS. They don't watch much TV, and when they do, not a lot of 'em are are tuning in to see whats up on the PBS station.

PBS doesn't want DCI... but DCI shouldn't desire that station anymore either. Neither is a good fit anymore for the other, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Besides FN + Finals pay-per-view? I would be (very pleasantly) surprised if DCI changes their Finals live streaming policy any time soon, especially if it is working out for them. If nothing else, they are making money that they weren't making before, and it would be odd to lower the price of streaming Finals live in the hopes to gain a few more customers. I personally have never live streamed finals, as much as I would love to, because it is too much for my budget: I would love for them to lower it enough to DCI can take more of my money! But it's bad business to under-price a product, and if DCI is content with their practices it would seemingly be unwise for them to lower their prices and risk making less money

don't under price it. keep the current pricing but make on package available for purchase in June