Jersey Surf 2015

If the members are having a great time, good for them; but watching that show was like viewing, what used to be, a Div II corps performing its first full run through of the season. Louisiana Stars, The Guardians, and Genesis all seemed much more polished than Surf and they are open class corps. For an organization that's, typically, one of the very first to announce their show themes every year; they still seem very unprepared and the show very cut, paste, and cobbled together.

in your opinion what is needed most. New design team or new staff? I don't follow surf much but bridgemania was say their best show in world class. So if fun is the way to go then they better perform the hell out of fun. Last couple years seem forced compared to that show. And I'm not a fan of the uniform. They need to fnd something that can be altered each year but scream surf. This year's show IMO seems to easy across the board. Does starting late hurt them to much?
  • Like 1

I don't follow Surf much, but "Bridgemania" was, say, their best show in World Class.

Fun show, but their first W.C. show in 2009, "Mozart Effect", had the same placement (20th) and a higher score (78.55 vs. 75.45). Although it's almost impossible to compare scores from year to year. In any case, I think "fun", but disciplined, may be the right path for them.

(Although for listening, my favorite is their 2002 West Side Story Div. II show--but I've never seen it, only heard it on DCI's CD.)

I think that's what I'm saying ... other than 1 maybe 2 DCA corps and YEA! they are the best recruiters on the block. In a very competitive arena they rival their efforts of the regions big 3. Why? They have a product that works. If they weren't taking it "seriously" they probably would not have stuck to their model of drum corps, their way gets kids in the door. I think serious or lack of serious (which I think you are referring to) comes with the experience that they want to give their kids, this is not connected to performance/show design.

When you sign up for The Cadets. You know you are getting a big time drum corps experience. But The Cadets don't count. Those kids are older, flying from all over to be a Cadet. H#ll, being in Texas is a home show for 25% of The Cadets. The Surf is a homegrown, grass roots endeavor. I'm sure they are, like other DCI corps are reaching out of their region to get a more kids then they have i the past, but they are a locally/regional specific corps. I'm guessing their being on the road longer then the past is also effecting this.

Being serious or not shouldn't stop you from putting out a product that you claim you are, WC.

Be fun

Be creative

Be energetic

Make the crowd clap

Be good at it!

AoE

you mistakenly keep thinking that world class status is based on field results. it's not. DCI has said so

• Like 3

well, one person seems to be inspired by Surf '15, http://www.cbsnews.com/news/brian-wilsons-summer-of-milestones/

and that movie is no way relevant to Surf 15, I like John Cusack though...

you mistakenly keep thinking that world class status is based on field results. it's not. DCI has said so

I'm not mistaken ...

My last post was in response to your post about recruiting.

I've already responded to that several posts ago.

AoE

Edited by AoEnut

Fun show, but their first W.C. show in 2009, "Mozart Effect", had the same placement (20th) and a higher score (78.55 vs. 75.45). Although it's almost impossible to compare scores from year to year. In any case, I think "fun", but disciplined, may be the right path for them.

(Although for listening, my favorite is their 2002 West Side Story Div. II show--but I've never seen it, only heard it on DCI's CD.)

I couldn't have even told you the year they came into world or what the show was about. All I think of when I think of surf was bridge mania.

Where are their DM's at awards time? anyone else notice that?

Some corps leave the show site after performing to get a jump on travel. I have heard of corps leaving the drum majors behind for awards and then they follow in a smaller vehicle, but i'm not sure how often this happens.

You have to think that a corps going on early at a show loses lots of daylight of practice time. Heck at a big show the last corps of the night often gets 2-4 more hours of daylight.

I don't know if this is the case with Surf, but I would suspect the corps was on the road when you were seeing the awards ceremony.

• Like 1