Staff Performance Reactions at Finals

Turns out I was putting an incorrect [space] between the tag and the link. Thanks for the help, JJ.

When comparing the above videos, what do you hear? Same chart, same conductor, one year apart.

You know what I hear?

The difference between finals in LOS and finals in Bloomington.

Maybe this video indoor is slightly worse than the can, but there's no doubt about it. There's no way that the dramatic dynamics of this Mahler are perceived indoors. The luscious thunder of indoors - it almost sounds like a huge pipe organ - covers those dynamics in chocolatey goo.

I haven't gotten the chance to listen to the clips personally as I'm not near speakers at the moment, but your logic makes sense to me.

Now I expect to hear this out of a newbie parent , also saying the fix was in and their kids corps was the best BUT JEFF, really? In todays day and age with drill the pace that it is and shows designed with so much in it how on earth could someone focus but for a split second on anyone on a sideline, besides , coaching how? Im trying to think how could any gesture in a nano second be received and be helpful...jeff jeff jeff......to many late night bottle feedings ...lol..jk..DUDE!

well.......since I do some chief judging in the fall in winter, it does happen and it is kinda obvious.

and in DCI, it's very obvious when someone does it.

pacing, hey thats fine. I've paced a stadium walkway or 20 in my day. But arm gestures etc?

Lol I recall back in '99 it was unusually cool and very windy in Madison, and either at quarterfinals or semis, there was Hop, running to and fro, trying to keep the Manhattan tarps (I'm not entirely sure what they were supposed to be but that's my guess) from blowing all over the place. That was the year of the guard carrying taxi cab doors. Seems like Hop likes to "go big" on the props.

well, that I could understand. if the wind got a hold of one those things, it could be disastrous

let's ALL get on the offended van -- mini-van, that is :ninja:

i say we poll about it

It was well after the gun....the ensemble tear did nothing to the music score...the judges were already leaving the field with clipboards held high and the recorders off.

GE was still running. and a huge ensemble tear isn't effective.

you really shouldn't be discussing an ensemble tear from the field anyway

Does anyone else miss seeing the staff down on the field at finals, well most years before LOS, where the staff was in front of the corps by the DM jumping up and down and celebrating the corps?

I always enjoyed watching that on the videos and miss seeing it, now that most of them go into the stands.

That is the most UN-classy, UN-professional, embarrassing displays in drum corps. If staff can't control themselves, they need to go sit in the bus.

ANY staff behavior that calls attention to itself, is a clear signal that they are more important than the corps proper. The professional, winning corps staff don't do that.

So the answer to your question is "no" I don't miss staff acting like out-of-control children on the sideline while the corps is performing.

• Like 2

GE was still running. and a huge ensemble tear isn't effective.

Do you REALLY think the crowd even noticed?? They were going ape-#### from the moment the corps dropped to it's knees.

The tear, bad as it was, had no negative effect on the music score...that was done. The crowd went berserk...THAT'S what SCV was going for. They were successful at it...he tear is irrelevant compared to the crowd reaction.