Cavaliers 2015

Are the Cavies still using the one chord ending or have they changed to the final chord progression in the source music of OTSOG? That chord prog is just begging to be on the field. Go listen to the source music if you have not had the opportunity. You will then understand.

I just watched last nights show, it still needs a resolve but maybe the firsts can't hit the top note of the resolution. In that case we wait for the Texas ending to be put in before we get anything else.

Also for anyone that cares, the fast notes in the closer are much cleaner. Should be phenomenal come finals week.

• Like 1

ll I was a little worried after opening night but it seems like they've caught fire early on, here's the list of the 3 corps with the most improvement from their opening score to today:

The Cavaliers - 9.8 over 7 days.

The Cadets - 7.35 over 7 days.

Blue Stars - 6.95 over 7 days.

Still lots of room for achievement as well. We'll see in the long run, but they're setting themselves up to do really well down the road.

Things I'm not a huge fan of:

• The "singing" in Run Boy Run. Is it still there? No one has mentioned it in previous reviews. Maybe it's gone. That's really the only thing in the show last week that I'd call bad.
  • Drumline staging and book doesn't seem as integrated as others have pointed out, they seem pretty separated, even in the drum feature. I don't see how this could really be fixed without some big rewrites. IMO ditch the singing and feature that drumline, they're playing really well.
  • Thematically I get it, but it could be more obvious.
  • The end of the closer seems pretty rushed visually, but as we saw last year that can definitely change fast. I can see that changing.

Otherwise I really dig it. I think the music throughout is great, once the overall arc is improved I think it'll be fantastic. Still love that Debussy/Bruckner opener. The ballad has huge potential, and the closer will be fantastic, I know. Otherwise I think that the "Run Boy Run" segment seems the weakest to me, I like the end of it after the drum feature, but that minute or two of the begging of it needs some looking at, in my opinion of course. Not claiming to be an expert by any means. Thinking in the long run, based on just gut feelings, I think they'll at least maintain 6th. Unless someone stalls out above them, they have some amazing additions that overcompensate other changes in corps above them, or someone comes soaring up below them, I think they'll at least maintain last year. 2 points below 5th though? Hmm, I could see them breaking 94 this year, kinda like 2007 where down to 7th was 94+. I think Hornline, Music Analysis, and Music GE are going to be extremely competitively come August. Visual GE and Analysis can be. IMO the show only has one soft spot, otherwise with some cleaning, changes, and additions they're in a good place after week 1 to grow quite a bit as performers and as a show overall.

• Like 2

I know God forbid, but I liked the singing from the show last night. When I'm not watching a multicam of just the young man's face and get to focus on the drill around it, it works. Nothing against the young man's face, but the moment seems like an additive to the moment and not a feature.

Thank you for the link to the show!

Just a general question...Could it be that the thought of a singer in the Cavaliers show is something many viewers are not comfortable with - in that you would not expect something like this from them?

As it stands, BD is getting a lot of support for their KPop section which from these ears is much more of an "adjustment" than Cavie's singing

Edited by Lincoln

Just a general question...Could it be that the thought of a singer in the Cavaliers show is something many viewers are not comfortable with - in that you would not expect something like this from them?

As it stands, BD is getting a lot of support for their KPop section which from these ears is much more of an "adjustment" than Cavie's singing

I don't mind it if anyone does it, it just needs to be done more effectively if they're going to do it. It's not very convincing right now, and yes I've heard the original before anyone asks.

Edited by DrumManTx

The "singing" in BD's show is prerecorded from a K-Pop band that already heavily auto tunes itself (must like pretty much all K-Pop groups). Not only that the recording seems to be set at an appropriate volume level (from what I've heard on videos of the show).

The Cavies however, are using a MM who is singing live. I hate to be mean, but he doesn't sound good. They need to get someone who can sing, or not do the feature at all. In addition, they haven't really gotten the volume level down. Sometimes it's really loud, other times it's soft. The singing needs to be scrapped.