Carolina Crown 2015

Agree with everyone so far. The closer fell flat too chaotic and missing the oomph you get in the actual symphony when they hit that chorus.

Drill was a bit chaotic and distracting from that angle as all you saw was bodies basically sprinting in the brass line.

However:

1) loved the front half

2) the ballad was crazy spooky

3) guard work = nice

4) I really like how they've staged it with the brass and the guard

Final thought: uniforms are cool but at that angle, I couldn't focus on the actual drill that well due to the whipping of the really white rifles and sabres by the guard. Hopefully a higher cam under the stadium lights will work better but for the front half, it felt kinda of psychedelic with the twirly white things :)

Hmmm. Not really what I was expecting. Very Texas BOA.

Do elaborate, if you will. What do Bands of America ensembles, and those from Texas in particular, do that Crown is doing here? I've only in the past year begun to look into BoA, and there was only one Texas band in this year's Finalists. As far as I can recall Flower Mound's show, this one isn't like it. Nor do I remember the show by the one other Texas band whom I've seen from last fall, Claudia Taylor Johnson, being like Crown's. But that shows my experience is very limited, and I'd like to know more.

The two BoA bands that do spring to mind, just a little, are Tarpon Springs, half of whose 2014 guard had costumes suggesting musculature, I believe, and Avon, who in some previous year I once saw on Youtube lifted an enormous banner over the band that read (copying a popular billboard), "Don't make me come down there. --God".

Edited by N.E. Brigand

It's a winning show. I've seen three of those from Crown. 2009 (when they couldn't get their feet clean), 2013, and 2015.

Everything is well-planned, effects all work. Plenty of moments to enhance and layers to add.

Excellence will clearly be there.

And most of all --- they didn't shoot themselves in the foot design-wise (which is what has usually held them back).

Oh. And I think perhaps their percussion will NOT be holding back the rest of the corps.

Of course a couple other corps have something to say about winning.

But when Crown nails the design, they're very difficult to out-perform at the end.

Edited by corpsband

The show sort of reminds me of SCV 2011 The Devils Staircase.

Well, probably all evocations of Hell since 1320 are indebted to Dante (and he in turn to Virgil).

If you happen to need the show when the link gets taken down, contact me.

Hit me up

The show sort of reminds me of SCV 2011 The Devils Staircase.

Funnily enough, I didn't enjoy that show musically either.